U.S. in contact with some members of Iraqi military, Rumsfeld says | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

U.S. in contact with some members of Iraqi military, Rumsfeld says

Tom Infield - Knight Ridder Newspapers

March 11, 2003 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld said Tuesday that the United States was in secret contact with elements of Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein's military who it hopes will step aside or surrender in the event of an American-led attack.

Rumsfeld's comments, at a Pentagon news conference broadcast into Iraq, marked the first official indication from the U.S. military that some Iraqi soldiers are cooperating in undermining Saddam.

"They are being communicated with privately at the present time," Rumsfeld said.

"They are being—will be—communicated with, in a more public way. And they will receive instructions so that they can behave in a way that will be seen and understood as being nonthreatening. And they will not be considered combatants, and they will be handled in a way that they are no longer part of the problem."

The disclosure, together with the testing of a terrifying new American bomb Tuesday at an Air Force installation in Florida, seemed aimed at fomenting fear—front and rear—in the Iraqi military.

The bomb, called a Massive Ordnance Air Burst, contained 21,000 pounds of explosives, making it the largest weapon in existence outside nuclear arsenals.

A senior defense official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said the intent of the psychological warfare campaign was to convince Iraqi soldiers that it might be safer to run into the arms of the Americans than to trust their own comrades or face U.S. weapons.

"If we're going to move up into Iraq, then troops that surrender will be taken care of," the official said. ". . . The first group that tries to resist will be obliterated, both as an example and because we need to move ahead. . . . We will devastate the military units that decide to fight."

Defense officials had said previously that special operations forces were already in Iraq trying to make contact with anti-Saddam elements among Shiite Muslims, Kurds and disaffected groups.

The Pentagon also had let it be known that its planes were dropping hundreds of thousands of leaflets over Iraq, especially in the southern no-fly zone, that say resistance would be futile.

Saddam's military is divided into segments—a "popular army" of some 280,000 to 350,000 soldiers organized into 17 divisions, plus an elite Republican Guard organized into seven divisions.

GlobalSecurity.org, a Washington-based public policy group that monitors declassified intelligence assessments of Iraqi strength, reports that the main function of the Republican Guard, besides protecting Baghdad, is to "protect the regime from the army."

The regular-army troops are the ones on the front lines, who will have the first choice of standing aside or giving up.

The United States and its allies, principally Britain and Australia, now have 225,000 troops—a combination of air, sea and land forces—in the potential combat zone, said Gen. Richard Myers, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

The American military in recent days has stepped up preparations for an all-out attack by sending Air Force and Navy combat planes on hundreds of missions in the no-fly zones in the south and north of Iraq.

The U.S. military has been softening up the area under the provisions of a 9-year-old policy, adapted from U.N. resolutions, that permits the destruction of any facilities that could threaten overflights.

———

(c) 2003, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Iraq

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service