Saddam's fate unclear after initial strike on Baghdad | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

Saddam's fate unclear after initial strike on Baghdad

Warren P. Strobel and Tim Johnson - Knight Ridder Newspapers

March 20, 2003 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—A war-opening strike against Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein and his inner circle appears to have significantly shaken the Baghdad regime, although the fate of Saddam and his two sons remained unknown, Bush administration officials said Thursday.

A tape of Saddam broadcast on Iraqi television after the strike appeared to be the Iraqi leader himself, rather than a double, the officials said. They cautioned that computer analysis of the person's voice, mannerisms and appearance was continuing and that no definitive conclusions had been reached.

CIA analysts have not determined whether the tape was live or prerecorded before the attack, said U.S. intelligence officials, speaking on condition of anonymity.

But one official said that the U.S. intelligence community had picked up indications recently that the Iraqi regime was preparing several tapes of Saddam to have "in the can" in the event of a U.S. strike, to portray the Iraqi leader as still in control.

Another official said that the "limited and piecemeal" Iraqi response so far to the first day of U.S. attacks could be a sign of confusion in the Iraqi leadership, or that Saddam's control of Iraqi security forces had been severed.

"There's been no unified counterattack," said the official. "A few commanders are doing little things. A lot more aren't doing anything."

The cruise missile and air strike was launched Wednesday after the CIA learned that senior members of Saddam's inner circle—possibly including the Iraqi leader and his sons Uday and Qusay—had gathered in a bunker under a home in southern Baghdad.

That prompted a sudden change in U.S. war planning, pre-empting plans to open the war with a massive series of airstrikes on Thursday.

"An opportunity presented itself that one took," Secretary of State Colin Powell said in an interview Thursday. "It was a credit to our military and intelligence officials that they were able to deal with this It really was impressive, and I know about such things. It was good."

Powell, who was in the White House meetings Wednesday until he left to call Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon and other leaders, said there was no debate about the legality of targeting a foreign leader. The United States was at war and "we were going after the leadership of the enemy forces, the opposing forces," he said.

CIA Director George Tenet, who made the case for the early strike, remained confident that the attack by Tomahawk cruise missiles and F-117 "stealth" attack planes carrying 2,000-pound, satellite-guided bombs killed or incapacitated at least one and probably more top Iraqi leaders, a senior U.S. official said.

There was an unconfirmed report, apparently from Russian intelligence agencies, that Qusay, the more powerful of Saddam's sons and head of Iraq's pervasive security forces, had died in the attack.

Most analysts believe that without Saddam, who has ruled Iraq with bloody ruthlessness since 1979, the regime would soon collapse.

Qusay and the unstable Uday, who was wounded in a 1996 assassination attempt, "don't have the presence or gravitas" to take their father's place, said former CIA profiling expert Jerrold Post, director of George Washington University's political psychology program.

In reference to the tape, Post, who has prepared psychological profiles of the Iraqi leader, said, "My gut reaction (was) that doesn't look like Saddam to me."

In analyzing the seven-minute tape of Saddam, Post said, CIA experts are comparing the voiceprint with known recordings of the Iraqi leader and matching the image with previous appearances, a process not unlike interpreting satellite photos.

Another senior U.S. official said there could be "a good deal of uncertainty for a long while" about the tape and the fate of Saddam.

"If it is him, he clearly had a bad night, because he doesn't look too good," the official said, referring to Saddam's puffy and bleary-eyed appearance.

But this official and others said there were several clues suggesting that the broadcast may have been pre-recorded.

The person on the tape mentions the date of the U.S. attack, but that could have easily been guessed beforehand because of President Bush's ultimatum for Saddam to leave Iraq, which expired Wednesday evening.

Nor was there any mention of the strike on the leadership bunker, which Saddam might be expected to use to taunt Bush.

"The rest of it is all very generic and could have been done at any time," the senior official said.

Experts said that if he lived through the dawn barrage, Saddam would attempt to hunker down with his most loyal forces, the Republican Guard, Special Republican Guard and Special Security Organization, to lure U.S. soldiers toward Baghdad. The three have a total of about 75,000 men.

Some analysts foresee a "Samson strategy" in which Saddam attempts to bring down the pillars of Baghdad in a catastrophic event with enormous fatalities, reducing stomach for further war in the United States.

Others see him just targeting U.S. troops, a tactic of attrition aimed at making the fight for Baghdad too brutal for the American public to endure for long, swaying international public opinion, and allowing U.S. forces only partial control of Iraq.

"His hope is that he can create what he'd call a Mesopotamian Stalingrad—the vision of horrible street-to-street fighting in Baghdad with chemical weapons going off, with his best troops around him willing to fight to the death," said Kenneth M. Pollack, a former CIA analyst on Iraq.

"Really, what they are going for is a psychological victory," said Pollack, now a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution.

Saddam, Pollack said, has deeply miscalculated how prepared U.S. troops are for battling amid chemical and biological contaminants.

Judith Yaphe, another former senior CIA analyst who is now at the National Defense University, said Saddam wants the fighting to drag on and wants Americans to see televised images of U.S. fatalities.

"His strategy is to inflict maximum casualties, thinking that we won't go through with it," Yaphe said.

———

(c) 2003, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Iraq

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service