U.S., Britain order staff out of Kuwait as U.N. pulls out | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

U.S., Britain order staff out of Kuwait as U.N. pulls out

Jeff Wilkinson - Knight Ridder Newspapers

March 17, 2003 03:00 AM

KUWAIT CITY—American and British diplomats urged their citizens to leave Kuwait Monday and the United Nations pulled the last of its observers from the demilitarized zone between Kuwait and Iraq as war appeared to be inevitable.

But the U.S. and British warnings did not spark a stampede. At Kuwait International Airport it was business as usual. Those who were leaving Monday said family pressure or orders from employers, not personal concerns, spurred their departures.

"I just don't think Saddam can do anything here," said Terry Akers of Houston, an engineer working on a gas project with the Kuwaiti government. "But I don't blame my company. I guess I'm glad they made the decision for me."

Diplomats said the response from the 3,500 or so Britons and 500 to 1,000 Americans in Kuwait had been "limited." So they issued a second warning.

"There is hostility here and the risk of a (terror) attack," a diplomat said. "The threat is high and will rise. The embassies are now operating with only core teams."

Even those who were leaving said they doubted Iraq would launch attacks on Kuwait. "I'm leaving because of family pressure—my daughter wants me to go," said Liz Pollit, who with her husband has lived in Kuwait 25 years. "I don't think anything is going to happen here."

Her husband, Geoff, an oil executive, was staying behind.

"I have to work," he said.

Mohammad Al-Jassim, editor of the Arabic daily Al Watan, said most Kuwaitis also are skeptical that Kuwait will be hit by either a terrorist attack or a strike by Saddam.

"Everybody knows it's a possibility, but what can you do?" he asked. "When the time comes, people will leave through Saudi Arabia if necessary."

Kuwaitis and expatriates are taking precautions, however.

The streets in the center city are empty at night. Many families have prepared safe rooms in their homes with plastic sheeting and duct tape. And some mothers have kept their children home from school.

"The moon has changed," Al-Jassim said. "People feel the war might start today."

United Nations officials apparently share that feeling. U.N. observers watching the demilitarized zone between Kuwait and Iraq pulled out completely Monday after cutting their efforts to the minimum over the weekend.

"We've moved and are awaiting other orders from New York," said Daljeet Bagga, spokesman for the U.N. Iraq-Kuwait Observation Mission.

———

(c) 2003, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Iraq

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service