Wounded troops recount ambush by Iraqis | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

Wounded troops recount ambush by Iraqis

Rich Glickstein - Knight Ridder Newspapers

March 27, 2003 03:00 AM

LANDSTUHL, Germany—The Humvee's gunner, Army Sgt. Charles Horgan, had barely yelled, "R-P-G!" before the front of his vehicle exploded.

The blast from a Rocket Propelled Grenade blew Horgan, 21, and Staff Sgt. Jamie Villafane, 31, out of their Humvee.

Horgan, who had been standing and manning a .50-caliber machine gun, was knocked in the air and came back down on the vehicle. Villafane, in the passenger seat, was thrown out the side.

The two men sat in hospital garb Thursday at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center, the largest military hospital outside the United States, telling journalists how they had been ambushed Sunday by Iraqi soldiers dressed as civilians.

Joined at the news conference by Marine Lance Cpl. Joshua Menard, the men had been in the first four evacuation flights that ferried 24 combat wounded to Ramstein Air Base in Germany.

All three will return to the United States for further treatment.

The two Army soldiers and their driver, Pvt. Alonzo Lopez, who was uninjured, were in the lead vehicle of a scout team of the 1st Battalion, 30th Infantry Regiment, comprising two Humvees, a Bradley fighting vehicle, an Abrams tank and another Humvee following the small column. They were sent to investigate civilians in Bedouin robes on a bridge about 30 kilometers south of Nasiriyah, Iraq, Sunday.

In the moments after he saw the missile and before it hit the Humvee, Horgan said he had three thoughts: "Wow, we're in a real war," "I'm going to die," and "Oh no, I'm just going to lose my legs."

Horgan, from Helena, Mont., scrambled off the Humvee. The blast had charred his boot and ripped open his right heel.

The blow knocked Villafane, a husband and father of three, onto the end of the bridge they had just crossed. When his wits returned, he began searching frantically for his M-4 assault rifle. No sooner had he retrieved it that he saw a wire-guided missile passing within feet of his face and hitting a second Humvee.

"I saw the wire," said Villafane, of Brentwood, N.Y. He crawled down the bank of the bridge seeking cover from rifle fire.

Under the bridge, Villafane saw a civilian carrying an AK-47 rifle. He trained his rifle on the man, who surrendered. The man removed his robe, revealing an Iraqi uniform.

Three more men dressed as civilians appeared under the bridge, all carrying AK-47s. They surrendered and removed Bedouin garb to show uniforms.

"It was four guys against me," said Villafane, who got shrapnel in his left hand and forearm and a broken ring finger.

While Villafane secured his prisoners, Horgan corralled Lopez, a soldier just out of high school, and took cover on the side of the bridge.

Menard, 21, part of the 2nd Battalion, 8th Marines, based at Camp Lejeune, N.C., was shot in the left hand while he and several other Marines guarded a different bridge spanning the Euphrates River south of An Nasiriyah. Menard, of Houston, also said Iraqis in civilian clothing had opened fire with AK-47s.

The three agreed they were glad to be out of the danger area.

"Nobody can be shot at and say, `Wow, I really want to go back there, that was great,'" Horgan said.

As Villafane put it, "Getting shot at really wasn't that bad. It's the getting shot part that sucked."

———

(c) 2003, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

PHOTOS (from KRT Photo Service, 202-383-6099): USIRAQ-WOUNDED

Iraq

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service