British industry upset over rules limiting role in post-war Iraq | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

British industry upset over rules limiting role in post-war Iraq

Kevin G. Hall - Knight Ridder Newspapers

March 24, 2003 03:00 AM

LONDON—British government officials and business leaders fear that Washington wants to deny them lucrative reconstruction contracts in post-war Iraq despite Britain's unrivaled contributions to fighting the war.

U.S. government purchasing laws are the rub. They stipulate that only American companies can be prime contractors for the U.S. Agency for International Development, which is to oversee reconstruction in Iraq.

British Prime Minister Tony Blair's government, which has contributed 45,000 military personnel to the Iraqi campaign despite vocal public and political opposition, has quietly appealed the U.S. rule. British industry is more vocally upset and wants some U.S.-financed reconstruction business steered its way.

Trade and Industry Secretary Patricia Hewitt last week lobbied AID administrator Andrew Natsios, but neither Natsios nor Hewitt would discuss the outcome. An AID official suggested that British concerns are overblown because the agency has promised waivers to allow foreign companies to bid as subcontractors.

Hewitt's appeal followed the circulation of a letter in Britain by top executives in the oil, gas and water industries expressing concern that, as in the 1991 rebuilding of Kuwait, U.S. companies will get the lion's share of reconstruction work.

"She was highlighting the fact that UK companies have a lot of experience in reconstruction," said an official with Trade Partners UK, an agency that answers to Britain's foreign secretary and the trade ministry. "What we are looking at is having UK companies get involved with this work as a subcontractor."

The Trade Partners official, who asked not to be identified, said Britain opens its foreign aid projects to international bidding.

The Bush administration was deep into reconstruction planning months before the first shot was fired in Iraq. In February, AID solicited bids from U.S. contractors for seaport and airport administration, public health, education, local governance and the biggest prize: capital construction. The last category includes rebuilding Iraq's roads, bridges, airports, power plants and other public works, and it accounts for $600 million of the $900 million in AID's first round of Iraq contracts.

Capital construction contract winners are to be announced this week, said Ellen Yount, an AID spokeswoman.

Britain's P&O Ports, which operates terminals and ports in 17 countries, said Monday that it has been notified it won't be eligible for an AID prime contract to operate the Iraqi port of Umm Qasr. P&O spokesman Peter Smith said in an interview that his company was disappointed because it's qualified for the job. He said decisions should be made "according to the skills available and the expertise that companies have to offer."

Yount with the AID said federal procurement laws require that prime contractors be U.S. companies and that Iraq's reconstruction, especially in its initial stages, will require U.S. security clearances of contractors given access to classified documents.

AID administrator Natsios promised several weeks ago, Yount said, that U.S. prime contractors would be permitted to hire foreign subcontractors under AID waivers. She said AID prime contractors are using some foreign subcontractors in Afghanistan's reconstruction.

The first round of contracts, Yount added, "doesn't represent the full universe of reconstruction work, and 50 percent of all work will be done by subcontractors."

Colin Adams, the head of the British Consultants and Construction Bureau, said Monday that he was unaware of AID's willingness to sign waivers to permit foreign companies to work as subcontractors. His bureau represents many of Britain's biggest engineering and construction firms.

"They hadn't made that waiver clear to UK companies," Adams said. "We didn't have a clear direction from your government to ours."

———

(c) 2003, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Iraq

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service