Arnett criticized for saying U.S. war plan `has failed' | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

Arnett criticized for saying U.S. war plan `has failed'

Mark Washburn - Knight Ridder Newspapers

March 30, 2003 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—Former CNN reporter Peter Arnett, who became a household name by reporting from Baghdad during the first Gulf War in 1991, was interviewed by Iraqi TV Sunday and said, "The first war plan has just failed because of Iraqi resistance."

Arnett, 68, in Baghdad for NBC, has been working on a special for MSNBC's "National Geographic Explorer" about how Iraqi civilians are coping with war. He is one of the few Western correspondents left in the Iraqi capital.

Some critics seized on Arnett's remarks as aiding the enemy.

After declaring that the U.S. war plan had failed, Arnett said: "Now they are trying to write another war plan. Clearly the American war planners misjudged the determination of the Iraqi forces."

NBC said that Arnett's interview was a "professional courtesy" afforded to Iraqi TV.

"His remarks were analytical in nature and were not intended to be anything more," NBC said in a statement.

His surprise appearance was the latest curiosity in the information war that has accompanied the battlefield hostilities. While American news networks have largely shown pictures of precision bombing and troop movements, Arab channels have been full of images of civilian casualties and American POWs.

"President Bush says he is concerned about the Iraqi people, but if Iraqi people are dying in numbers, then American policy will be challenged very strongly," Arnett said in the interview. "Clearly, the American war planners misjudged the determination of the Iraqi forces."

Former New York Sen. Alfonse D'Amato criticized Arnett in an interview on Fox News Channel, which made Arnett's remarks one of its top stories Sunday and is one of MSNBC's key rivals. "He gives aid and comfort to the enemy," D'Amato said. "He's buttering them up."

Arnett praised the Iraqi Ministry of Information for its cooperation with his film team during the interview. Earlier in the month, the government expelled correspondents from Arnett's former employer, CNN, for what it called biased reporting.

———

(c) 2003, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Iraq

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service