Iranian opposition group in Iraq surrenders to U.S. forces | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

Iranian opposition group in Iraq surrenders to U.S. forces

John Sullivan - Knight Ridder Newspapers

May 10, 2003 03:00 AM

MANSURIYAH, Iraq—Leaders of an Iranian exile army that operated in Iraq for more than two decades surrendered to U.S. forces on Saturday and agreed to place their troops and equipment in camps under coalition control.

The well-armed Mujahedeen Khalq (MEK), with some 6,000 members, was the last organized armed force in Iraq and a potential challenge to the authority of the U.S.-led coalition. Members of the group had spent more than two decades fighting against Iran's Islamic government with support from Saddam Hussein.

Since the fall of Saddam's regime, the MEK had settled into empty Iraqi army bases and set up checkpoints in the Iran-Iraq border region.

The agreement reached Saturday disbanded the MEK as a fighting forces and instructed its members to cooperate with coalition forces.

"They will no longer be a viable military organization, and they are no longer capable of launching strikes into Iran," said Col. Fred Rudesheim, commander of the 4th Infantry Division's 3rd Brigade and a participant in the talks.

MEK leaders agreed to turn over their weapons and stay with their troops in camps under the control of the U.S.-led forces near the Iranian border. American officials will interview them in the camps, and they will only be allowed to leave the camps with an escort.

The agreement did not outline their final status.

"We avoided discussing their status," said Rudesheim. "We told them that was a decision that would have to be made by people above our command."

The capitulation agreement was reached after two days of negotiations between MEK leaders and commanders of the 4th Infantry Division and V Corps. Much of the negotiation centered on the wording of the document. The MEK did not want to call it a surrender document, saying that would be seen as a victory for their enemy in Tehran. In the end the agreement was called an "instruction" to MEK leaders.

The U.S. State Department put the group on its terrorism list in 1997 after a series of car bombings in Tehran and assassination attempts on Iranian officials.

V Corps had been monitoring a secret April 15 cease-fire between the MEK and American special forces. The MEK was abiding by the case-fire and cooperating with coalition soldiers, officials said.

The MEK was equipped with tanks and pick-up trucks fitted with machine guns. Some of the military equipment was in excellent condition, including 19 British-made Chieftain tanks.

———

(c) 2003, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Iraq

Read Next

Latest News

Republicans expect the worst in 2019 but see glimmers of hope from doom and gloom.

By Franco Ordoñez

December 31, 2018 05:00 AM

Republicans are bracing for an onslaught of congressional investigations in 2019. But they also see glimmers of hope

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service