Soldier, interpreter killed in ambush in Baghdad hot spot | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

Soldier, interpreter killed in ambush in Baghdad hot spot

Drew Brown - Knight Ridder Newspapers

July 21, 2003 03:00 AM

BAGHDAD, Iraq—A U.S. soldier and his Iraqi interpreter were killed Monday when gunmen ambushed their two-vehicle convoy with explosives and automatic weapons in a Baghdad neighborhood where there have been at least four other attacks in recent weeks.

Three other soldiers were wounded in the incident, one of them shot in the neck, according to soldiers who arrived on the scene after the ambush. All were members of a civil affairs detachment assigned to the Army's 1st Armored Division, soldiers said.

The attacks brought to at least seven the number of American soldiers who have been killed in Iraq in the last week and to 175 the number of U.S. and British troops who have died in combat since the war began March 19, according to coalition military officials.

A military statement said one soldier's Humvee struck a homemade bomb and the convoy was attacked with small arms fire. Soldiers who arrived later gave a slightly different account, describing a more sophisticated ambush in which a sniper shot one soldier in the neck, a rocket-propelled grenade struck one vehicle and gunmen hiding in nearby brush sprayed both Humvees with automatic weapons fire and fled.

"The first vehicle was hit as it went around that corner up there," said 1st Armored Division Sgt. Wascar Diaz, 27, of Tampa, Fla. "The passenger in the first vehicle was hit in the neck by a sniper. An RPG was fired at the second. That's when they heard the explosion and all hell broke loose."

A concrete-brick wall on the far side of the bend may have provided cover for the sniper, according to Diaz and other soldiers. Dozens of foxholes and trench lines lace through a sparsely wooded area on the other, providing concealment for gunmen or bombers. Iraqi troops apparently dug out the positions during the war and never filled them in. An American military meals-ready-to-eat packet lay gathering dust in one hole. Tall reeds and a prominent ditch on the other side of the road offered more hiding places.

U.S. soldiers were setting the brush and reeds afire late Monday in an attempt to deter more assaults.

Diaz and other soldiers said his unit alone had been attacked at least four times previously in the area, called Hai Tunis, in recent weeks, though no one else had been killed. The area is home to many former Baath Party members who are still loyal to deposed Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein, he and other soldiers said.

Soldiers say they encounter simmering animosity in the area, and that elusive gunmen strike at American troops at will and disappear into the surrounding neighborhoods.

"It's like this every time we go out," Diaz said. "Every time we go out and a rock hits a Humvee, we just sit there and wait expecting to hear the bomb go off next."

"We've done several raids since we've been here," said Sgt 1st Class Ronald Grantham, 36, of Tampa, Fla. "But we've come up empty on every one of them. I don't know where they're getting their intel from. But I'd like to know who it is, so I could go slap them."

Gen. John Abizaid, who recently took over U.S. Central Command, which is in charge of military operations in Iraq, announced plans while on a visit to Iraq to create a 7,000-member Iraqi paramilitary force to work with U.S. soldiers. The force would consist of eight battalions, with about 850 men each.

American troops will train the new force, which is expected to be ready within about 45 days. U.S. officials hope the force will lessen attacks on American troops.

Separately, U.S. military officials in Iraq recently announced plans to create a new Iraqi Army, which eventually will number around 40,000 men.

In Najaf, protests continued Monday over accusations that American Marines surrounded a Shiite cleric's house Saturday after he gave a speech denouncing Iraq's new Governing Council and calling for an Islamic army to be created to resist the council and U.S. and coalition forces.

American officials deny surrounding the house. A spokesman for the Coalition Provisional Authority, who asked not to be named, called it "absolute nonsense." But a spokesman for Shiite cleric Moqtada Sadr told Knight Ridder on Monday that the cleric's followers demand a high-profile public apology from coalition officials and insist that U.S. Marines leave Najaf.

About 300 people chanted "Death to America, Death to Israel" in a cramped alley outside Sadr's office, down from the thousands who were bused in over the weekend to protest the American presence. If the friction persists, it could threaten to upset relations between U.S. forces and the Shiite majority of Iraq in a town that has been considered a model of cooperation between the two sides.

———

(c) 2003, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

PHOTOS (from KRT Photo Service, 202-383-6099): USIRAQ

Iraq

Read Next

Congress

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

By Emma Dumain

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

Sen. Lindsey Graham is used to be in the middle of the action on major legislative debates, but he’s largely on the sidelines as he tries to broker a compromise to end the government shutdown.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Congress

Kansas Republican Pat Roberts announces retirement, sets up open seat race for Senate

January 04, 2019 11:09 AM

Congress

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM

Congress

Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

January 03, 2019 04:31 PM

Congress

Sharice Davids shows ‘respect’ for Pelosi’s authority on Congress’ first day

January 03, 2019 03:22 PM

Congress

As Cornyn exits Senate leadership, Texas is shut out of its own border talks

January 03, 2019 05:21 PM

Congress

Joe Cunningham votes no on Pelosi as speaker, backs House campaign head instead

January 03, 2019 12:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service