Attacks blamed on suspected terrorist | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

Attacks blamed on suspected terrorist

Drew Brown - Knight Ridder Newspapers

March 03, 2004 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—"There is no doubt" that suspected Jordanian terrorist Abu Musab al Zarqawi masterminded the pair of suicide bombings in Iraq on Tuesday that killed more than 140 people during a Shiite Muslim religious observance, Gen. John Abizaid, the chief of U.S. Central Command, said Wednesday.

Abizaid, testifying before the House Armed Services Committee, said the bombings showed a level of sophistication and coordination not previously seen in a string of deadly bombings that have occurred in Iraq since last summer. He said at least six suicide bombers were involved in the attacks, which occurred less than four minutes apart at shrines in Karbala and Baghdad.

"The level of organization and the desire to cause casualties among innocent worshippers is a clear hallmark of the Zarqawi network," Abizaid said.

Later, he told reporters: "I personally believe there is no doubt that Zarqawi is behind this."

U.S. officials last month released a letter they said was written by Zarqawi to al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden calling for attacks on Shiites to foment a civil war between Shiite and Sunni Muslims. Nearly all of Tuesday's victims were Shiites.

Abizaid also told reporters that the perpetrators of Tuesday's bombings intended to blame the attacks on U.S. forces. Leaflets found shortly after the Baghdad explosions claimed that U.S. forces had fired mortars into the crowd, he said.

Abizaid also said U.S. forces received intelligence before Tuesday's bombings indicating that an attack was imminent, though none of it was specific.

"None of it was good enough to say when it would happen, where it would happen or how it would happen," he said.

But it allowed U.S. commandos to carry out a successful raid on Zarqawi "network operatives" the night before, which prevented further carnage, he said, including thwarting planned suicide car bombing in the southern city of Basra.

"There is no doubt that we disrupted a planned attack even greater" than those that occurred in Karbala and Baghdad, he said.

Abizaid said the targets of the attacks were "several prominent Shiite personalities," though he declined to specify who. He said coalition forces have intelligence showing "some linkage" between Zarqawi and members of Saddam Hussein's former intelligence services.

"Clearly, not only are they targeting the Shia community in an effort to foment civil war—there is no doubt about it," he said. "They are targeting Shia leaders, Sunni leaders and any leader that will emerge in a leadership role in the new Iraq. What the terrorists fear is that a government of moderation will emerge in the new Iraq that allows Iraqis to develop a better future. They will fight every step of the way to prevent this from happening."

Abizaid, who has overall command of U.S. troops in Iraq, also warned of growing cooperation between Sunni Muslim extremists and members of Saddam Hussein's former intelligence services seeking to foment civil war between Iraq's religious and ethnic factions before a planned handover of power June 30 to Iraq's U.S.-backed Governing Council.

U.S. forces placed a $10 million bounty on Zarqawi last month and blame him for a recent wave of bombings in Iraq that has taken hundreds of lives. Zarqawi has been described by the Bush administration as an al-Qaida "associate" though it appears he's operating independently of al-Qaida's chief.

———

(c) 2004, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

ARCHIVE PHOTOS on KRT Direct (from KRT Photo Service, 202-383-6099): Abizaid

Iraq

Read Next

Latest News

Republicans expect the worst in 2019 but see glimmers of hope from doom and gloom.

By Franco Ordoñez

December 31, 2018 05:00 AM

Republicans are bracing for an onslaught of congressional investigations in 2019. But they also see glimmers of hope

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service