U.S. military officials offer few details in prisoner-abuse scandal | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

U.S. military officials offer few details in prisoner-abuse scandal

Carol Rosenberg - Knight Ridder Newspapers

March 21, 2004 03:00 AM

BAGHDAD, Iraq—Short on details, senior U.S. military officials continued to shield soldiers embroiled in a prisoner-abuse scandal at Iraq's notorious Abu Ghraib prison, saying Sunday only that none of the 20 or so abused prisoners required medical treatment.

U.S. commanders on Saturday charged six U.S. Army Military Police and have 11 others under suspension in the abuse case. Those charged face allegations of cruelty and maltreatment, indecent acts with another person, assault, conspiracy and dereliction of duty.

The abuses allegedly occurred in November and December at Abu Ghraib, which served as a torture center during Saddam Hussein's rule and today houses about 1,500 Iraqis being detained by the U.S.-led coalition. The investigation started two months ago after U.S. troops squealed on the alleged abusers, senior officers said.

In Washington, CNN quoted Pentagon sources as saying that some soldiers took photos of prisoners who were partially nude, and some portrayed inappropriate physical contact between soldiers and detainees. Commanders here would neither confirm nor deny the report.

By Baghdad standards, Sunday was a fairly quiet day—insurgents lobbed a rare daytime volley of rockets toward the Green Zone, where U.S. and other officials are managing the occupation, and one fell short, killing two Iraqi motorists near the posh Mansour district.

Most rocket attacks have rattled the capital at night, averting wider casualties, because many Baghdadis stay home after dark.

U.S. officials also announced four U.S. military casualties Sunday: Two soldiers were killed Saturday in a five-rocket attack on a coalition post near Fallujah, a hotbed of anti-Americanism west of Baghdad; a U.S. soldier was shot and killed early Sunday in a non-combat incident near Samarra, north of the capital; and another died Sunday evening when a roadside bomb exploded, killing the soldier and a translator.

At coalition headquarters, an incoming rocket roared past a Sunday morning briefing by senior officials on the abuse scandal and slammed into an empty field used for sporting events. Inside, Defense briefers didn't miss a beat in their efforts to assure that the abuse investigation is fair, although so far shielded from public scrutiny.

Military lawyers refuse to name the soldiers, reportedly from the 800 Military Police Brigade, who were charged, or to release their charge sheets or describe the nature of the alleged abuse. In response to a question, they said none of the prisoners was given medical treatment, and would not say if any of the mistreated prisoners were women.

Coalition troops today have about 9,500 detainees in detention centers across the nation; briefers said last week that only 20 are women.

Other soldiers here have been charged with assaulting prisoners, and have left the service. Saturday's charges were unusual in part because the "indecent acts" accusation, according to the military's court-martial manual, refers to "grossly vulgar, obscene, repugnant" behavior "to excite lust and deprave the morals with respect to sexual relations."

Commanders here say they are shielding the soldiers' identities and ranks, as well as details of the alleged abuses, because they are innocent until found guilty. Other military-abuse cases here have been made public at the time of charges however, and resulted in internal plea-style agreements before they reached trial.

———

(Rosenberg reports for The Miami Herald.)

———

(c) 2004, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Iraq

Read Next

Latest News

Republicans expect the worst in 2019 but see glimmers of hope from doom and gloom.

By Franco Ordoñez

December 31, 2018 05:00 AM

Republicans are bracing for an onslaught of congressional investigations in 2019. But they also see glimmers of hope

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service