Two Army brigades on their way home are to return to Iraq | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

Two Army brigades on their way home are to return to Iraq

Drew Brown - Knight Ridder Newspapers

April 09, 2004 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—Pentagon officials have decided that two Germany-based brigades of the 1st Armored Division won't leave Iraq as scheduled and will be redeployed to Baghdad and Najaf, officials in Washington and Kuwait said Friday.

Some of the troops were already in Kuwait, awaiting flights to Germany. Others were headed to Kuwait when they were ordered to turn around.

No official announcement has been made of the redeployment, but division commander Maj. Gen. Martin Dempsey told the troops about it in a letter dated Thursday. An official announcement will come over the weekend, a senior Defense Department official said Friday, speaking on condition of anonymity.

"We are being called to finish the fight against Madhi's Army south of Baghdad," Dempsey said in his letter. "I know you are eager to get home. I am too. But not if that means allowing one thug to replace another. We've worked too hard here to make that happen."

Word of the redeployment came as death totals indicated that the past week of fighting is likely to have been the bloodiest since U.S. forces entered Iraq more than a year ago.

At least 43 Americans—soldiers and Marines—have died since the uprising by Shiite militiamen began last Sunday, and at least 48 service members died during the first nine days of April, according to researchers with the independent Web site www.lunaville.org, which tracks coalition casualties.

Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld, at a news conference earlier this week, had said it was possible that a number of troops could be ordered to stay longer. The 1st Armored Division is the first unit to have received such orders.

U.S. troops in Iraq currently number about 125,000, out of a coalition total of 145,000. Rumsfeld and top commanders had hoped to reduce that to about 105,000 by summer. Keeping the 1st Armored Division in Iraq another three months will add 20,000.

In Kuwait, the soldiers were told that the 1st Armored Division's 2nd Brigade would be ordered to Najaf and was expected to be there until October. Najaf is currently under the control of the Mahdi Army, a Shiite Muslim militia headed by radical cleric Muqtada al-Sadr.

The division's 1st Brigade will be ordered to Baghdad until sometime in August, soldiers in Kuwait were told. Its 3rd Brigade no longer was at combat strength because so many of its members already had returned home to Fort Riley, Kan., so the rest of its soldiers will go home as planned, officers in Kuwait said.

The number of dead since April 1 makes the period the bloodiest nine-day stretch of the war. The worst day came on March 23 last year, during combat at Nasiriyah, when 30 troops died. The bloodiest month was last November, when 82 soldiers died.

———

(Lee Hill Kavanaugh of The Kansas City Star contributed to this story from Camp Arifjan, Kuwait.)

———

(c) 2004, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

GRAPHIC (from KRT Graphics, 202-383-6064): USIRAQ-TROOPS

Iraq

Related stories from McClatchy DC

latest-news

1004162

May 24, 2007 01:05 AM

Read Next

Latest News

Republicans expect the worst in 2019 but see glimmers of hope from doom and gloom.

By Franco Ordoñez

December 31, 2018 05:00 AM

Republicans are bracing for an onslaught of congressional investigations in 2019. But they also see glimmers of hope

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service