South Korean hostage reported beheaded in Iraq | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

South Korean hostage reported beheaded in Iraq

Tom Lasseter - Knight Ridder Newspapers

June 22, 2004 03:00 AM

BAGHDAD, Iraq—A militant Islamic group linked to terrorist Abu Musab al-Zarqawi beheaded its second hostage in as many months Tuesday.

Later that evening, American military spokesman Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt said U.S. forces had attacked what was described as an al-Zarqawi safe house in the city of Fallujah, the second strike against al-Zarqawi's operation since Saturday.

"This operation employed precision weapons to target and destroy the safe house and underscores the coalition's continuing resolve, in partnership with the Iraqi Security Forces, to defeat and destroy terrorist networks within Iraq," Kimmitt said in a statement. "Wherever and whenever we find elements of the Zarqawi network, we will attack them."

President Bush said Tuesday that the American mission in Iraq wouldn't be swayed by the bloodshed. "They want us to cower in the face of the brutal killings, and the United States will not be intimidated," he said.

The South Korean government responded by calling for the evacuation of all of its contractors by early July but stood firm behind an agreement to supply 3,000 more troops for U.S.-led efforts in Iraq.

South Korean contractor Kim Sun-il, who had pleaded for his life in a videotape broadcast the day before, was seen in video footage Tuesday wearing an orange jumpsuit, the same prison-type garb that American Nicholas Berg had worn before he was executed last month. Kim had a red blindfold on and hung his head, silently, as five masked gunmen stood behind him.

Al Jazeera, the Arab satellite news channel that aired the tape, said it wouldn't show the rest of the footage, which apparently included the beheading.

The head and body of an Asian man were recovered later west of Baghdad.

Kim's jumpsuit apparently was meant as a reminder of the Abu Ghraib prison, the site of Iraqi prisoner abuse by American soldiers last year.

In Tuesday's video, one of the men had a large knife hanging from his waist. Another held a heavy machine gun with a long row of ammunition. One of the men read a statement intended for the Korean government.

"This happened because of you. Stop lying. You are sending your army not to help Iraqis, but to help the cursed America," the man said. "We have warned you, and you didn't take it seriously."

A contingent of Korean troops is scheduled to begin building an airport in far northern Iraq, near the city of Irbil. Once built, it would be available to American military aircraft, representing a key strategic point in the north end of the country.

Kim's killing was part of a campaign of violence and sabotage in Iraq aimed at destabilizing the transition of sovereignty June 30 to an interim Iraqi government.

Elsewhere on Tuesday:

_ A suicide car bombing in a busy market area in west Baghdad killed at least three, including the bomber, and injured six, according to hospital officials. Glass and charred metal were strewn across the street. Among the dead was a 3-year-old Iraqi girl.

_ Two American soldiers were killed and one was wounded in an attack by gunmen in Balad, a town to the north of Baghdad.

_ The dean of law at the university in Mosul, in northern Iraq, was found slain along with her husband outside their home.

In south Baghdad, Hisham Fadel, who works in a stationery shop, said the motivations behind Kim's killing weren't very complicated.

"It's just propaganda to prove that they are here and the Americans can do nothing to them," Fadel said.

Kim was working as an Arabic translator for a South Korean contractor out of Baghdad, according to a posting on the Web site of the South Korean Embassy in Washington. He was kidnapped June 17 while making a delivery in the restive town of Fallujah, but the president of his company kept it secret while trying to negotiate his release.

By all accounts, Fallujah is controlled by extremist clerics and gunmen. U.S. military officials have said their intelligence data suggest that al-Zarqawi uses the town as one of his bases in Iraq.

On Saturday, a U.S. airstrike demolished a building in Fallujah that military officials said had been used as a safe house for al-Zarqawi operatives, some of them foreign fighters.

"These were key personnel in the al-Zarqawi network operating inside Fallujah with the capability to strike civilians and coalition forces throughout Iraq," Kimmitt said earlier this week.

———

(Knight Ridder correspondents Mark McDonald in Irbil, Iraq, and special correspondent Omar Jassem contributed to this report.)

———

(c) 2004, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

PHOTOS (from KRT Photo Service, 202-383-6099): USIRAQ

Iraq

Related stories from McClatchy DC

latest-news

1006869

May 24, 2007 01:31 AM

Read Next

Latest News

Republicans expect the worst in 2019 but see glimmers of hope from doom and gloom.

By Franco Ordoñez

December 31, 2018 05:00 AM

Republicans are bracing for an onslaught of congressional investigations in 2019. But they also see glimmers of hope

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service