U.S. soldier gets 1-year sentence in abuse of Iraqi prisoners | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

U.S. soldier gets 1-year sentence in abuse of Iraqi prisoners

Hannah Allam - Knight Ridder Newspapers

May 19, 2004 03:00 AM

BAGHDAD, Iraq—U.S. Army Spc. Jeremy C. Sivits, convicted Wednesday by a military court in Baghdad in connection with the abuse of Iraqi prisoners, gave a detailed account of what happened at the Abu Ghraib prison.

Sivits told the court that on the evening of Nov. 8 another soldier invited him to visit "the hard site," a confinement area where Iraqi detainees accused of rioting in another cellblock were being held for interrogation. Other soldiers needed help escorting prisoners to the site.

Sivits took a detainee by the arm and led him to the room, where he saw naked detainees "just lying there on the floor, sandbags over their heads." Sgt. Javal Davis and Pfc. Lynndie England, two other soldiers accused of abusing detainees, were crushing the prisoners' hands and feet with their boots, Sivits told the judge.

Sivits said he pushed his detainee onto the pile of prisoners, even though he knew the man would be similarly assaulted. Army Cpl. Charles A. Graner jumped on top of the human pyramid, grabbed a prisoner around the neck and reached back as if to strike him, he said. At the request of Graner, Sivits said he captured the now-infamous moment with a digital camera.

Sivits testified that he saw two soldiers strike the prisoners, even though the men didn't resist the soldiers' commands. Staff Sgt. Ivan "Chip" Frederick II punched one prisoner in the chest, apparently sending the man into cardiac arrest, and Graner punched another inmate in the head, knocking him out, Sivits said. Graner complained, "Damn, that hurt," referring to his wrist after hitting the prisoner, Sivits said.

"It was bad enough that they were embarrassed to be in there, but what we were doing to them ... ," Sivits said, hanging his head and leaving his thought incomplete.

Seven naked prisoners were forced to line up against a wall as England joked about their penises, Sivits said. With a cigarette in her mouth, England pointed to the genitals of one detainee and posed for another of the disturbing photos that were first made public on "60 Minutes II" last month.

Graner and Frederick made the detainees masturbate in front of the soldiers, Sivits said. By that point, Sivits had seen enough and started to leave the room. He said Frederick left him with a thinly veiled warning: "You didn't see shit."

"Did you try to stop it?" the judge asked Sivits.

"No, your honor," Sivits replied.

"You knew you should have, but you didn't?" the judge continued.

"No, your honor."

Sivits is the first American soldier convicted in the prisoner abuse scandal. In the sentencing phase of the court-martial, four witnesses testified that abusing prisoners was out of character for Sivits, who was described as a good soldier and a go-to guy who would "break his back to help you." However, none of the soldiers called as witnesses excused Sivits' behavior. They said the abuse, which had become an open secret at the prison once an investigation began in January, damaged the morale and reputation of the 372nd Military Police unit.

"We were getting looked down upon as undisciplined, worthless soldiers," Spc. Matthew Wisdom, a military policeman, told the judge. "It made it hard on us, sir."

Prosecutors asked the judge to give Sivits the maximum penalty for incidents he called "horrendous, appalling and simply wrong." Sivits had struck a pretrial deal with prosecutors in which he was allowed a special court-martial, which comes with a capped sentence. At least three other defendants will face general courts-martial, which can bring more severe punishment.

"We must send a message to other soldiers, to our nation and to the Iraqi people that the American military does not tolerate such behavior in our soldiers," said Capt. John McCabe, the lead prosecutor.

Sivits' attorney, 1st Lt. Stanley L. Martin, lobbied the judge for leniency. In closing arguments, Martin painted Sivits as a serious young man from the tiny south-central Pennsylvania town of Hyndman who was the first in his family to graduate from high school. He'd volunteered for a peacekeeping mission in Bosnia in 2001, Martin said, and is far from the "sadistic monster" he's been labeled as in the media.

The root cause of the abuses at Abu Ghraib, the attorney continued, was a "complete breakdown in leadership."

Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez, the top U.S. commander in Iraq, told a Senate Armed Services Committee on Wednesday that he put military intelligence in charge of Abu Ghraib for protection, not interrogations. The role of intelligence officers at the prison is a key issue in the abuse investigation.

Sivits stared straight ahead, expressionless, as the judge handed down the maximum sentence—a year in prison, a demotion in rank to private and a bad conduct discharge from the Army. Sivits has the right to appeal the ruling before an Army court in Washington.

Just before the sentencing, Sivits had implored the judge to let him remain in uniform. Some servicemen and women in the courtroom had tears in their eyes as they listened to Sivits' final minutes of testimony.

"I love the Army. I love that flag," Sivits said. "All I ever wanted to be was an American soldier."

———

(c) 2004, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

PHOTOS (from KRT Photo Service, 202-383-6099): USIRAQ

Iraq

Related stories from McClatchy DC

latest-news

1005661

May 24, 2007 01:22 AM

Read Next

Latest News

Republicans expect the worst in 2019 but see glimmers of hope from doom and gloom.

By Franco Ordoñez

December 31, 2018 05:00 AM

Republicans are bracing for an onslaught of congressional investigations in 2019. But they also see glimmers of hope

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service