Former Halliburton employees testify about contract abuses | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

Former Halliburton employees testify about contract abuses

Seth Borenstein - Knight Ridder Newspapers

July 22, 2004 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—Three whistleblowers Thursday charged—and top executives strongly denied—that spending by Defense contractor Halliburton in Iraq was reckless and wasteful. They said the company's KBR unit charged the government $45 for cases of soda, submitted $100 bills for laundry, put up personnel in five-star hotels and abandoned $85,000 trucks on roadsides because of flat tires.

At the end of contradictory testimony about Halliburton's performance, the House Government Reform Committee defeated by a party line vote a request by committee Democrats to subpoena top Bush administration officials. Democrats wanted correspondence on the decision to give a no-bid secret $2.5 billion oilfield restoration contract to Vice President Dick Cheney's former firm.

The vote on the subpoena and Thursday's testimony showed starkly how politically polarizing an issue the performance of Halliburton—whose KBR subsidiary has the two largest contracts in Iraq—has become.

In the hearing, Democrats acted as prosecutors, praising whistleblowers and cross-examining Halliburton officials, while Republicans acted like defense attorneys and tried to discredit the whistleblowers.

Among the whistleblowers were two truck drivers who first told Knight Ridder about the abandoned trucks and reported that empty trucks hired by KBR crisscrossed Iraq at taxpayer expense.

"It seemed like there was no end in sight for the money being spent," said truck driver James Warren of Rutherfordton, N.C., a former driver for KBR in Iraq. He was fired for reasons that he and the company dispute.

"Luxuries, KBR came first, soldiers came second," testified former KBR logistics specialist Marie DeYoung of Philadelphia.

Alfred Neffgen, KBR's chief operating officer for the Americas, called the whistleblowers' charges' "mistaken and misinformed."

He said 42 Halliburton employees had been killed and 93 injured in Iraq, where the company has set up more than 60 camps for soldiers, restored Iraq's oil flow to prewar levels three months early, served nearly 500,000 meals to troops daily and provided them with more than 2.3 million gallons of water.

"Despite all of the challenges, KBR has constantly delivered on its promises to feed and house the soldiers and fuel and supply the military," Neffgen said.

KBR government compliance director William Walter assured lawmakers: "KBR takes seriously the matters of controlling costs and providing the fiscal accountability that taxpayers expect."

Truckers Warren and David Wilson of Venus, Fla., said KBR did almost no routine maintenance on its vehicles, which at times meant trucks had to be abandoned when they broke down.

KBR transportation chief Keith Richard denied those charges, saying regular maintenance was performed every two weeks.

Ten other current and former KBR truckers who spoke with Knight Ridder sided with Wilson and Warren, however.

"I never got a truck maintenanced the whole time I was there," former driver Shane Ratliff of Ruby, S.C., told Knight Ridder in April.

KBR officials and whistleblowers also squared off over the lavish—or not so lavish—government-paid accommodations provided to contractor personnel.

DeYoung, a former Army captain, operations officer and chaplain, said many KBR officials checked into the five-star Kempinski Julaia Resort in Kuwait City, a KBR staging and administrative hub, at a cost she put at $110 per person per day. By comparison, she said, troops stayed in tents at a cost of $1.39 per soldier per day. Rep. Henry Waxman, D-Calif., brandished photos of the Kempinski's large pool, lush rooms and cavernous hallways.

KBR's Neffgen countered with photos of lines of tents, and cramped makeshift housing in prefab containers. He said 87 percent of KBR employees in the region live in tents and prefabs like troops. Because its employees in hotels often double up, the cost at the Kempinski is closer to $45 a person.

Waxman said Pentagon and other federal auditors had found excessive hotel costs on KBR's bills to the government.

———

(c) 2004, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

PHOTOS (from KRT Photo Service, 202-383-6099): HALLIBURTON

Iraq

Related stories from McClatchy DC

latest-news

1007962

May 24, 2007 01:42 AM

Read Next

Congress

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

By Emma Dumain

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

Sen. Lindsey Graham is used to be in the middle of the action on major legislative debates, but he’s largely on the sidelines as he tries to broker a compromise to end the government shutdown.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Congress

Kansas Republican Pat Roberts announces retirement, sets up open seat race for Senate

January 04, 2019 11:09 AM

Congress

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM

Congress

Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

January 03, 2019 04:31 PM

Congress

Sharice Davids shows ‘respect’ for Pelosi’s authority on Congress’ first day

January 03, 2019 03:22 PM

Congress

As Cornyn exits Senate leadership, Texas is shut out of its own border talks

January 03, 2019 05:21 PM

Congress

Joe Cunningham votes no on Pelosi as speaker, backs House campaign head instead

January 03, 2019 12:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service