Terrorists execute British hostage in Iraq | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

Terrorists execute British hostage in Iraq

Nancy A. Youssef - Knight Ridder Newspapers

October 08, 2004 03:00 AM

BAGHDAD, Iraq—A British national who was kidnapped along with two Americans was beheaded, his family said Friday, ending hopes that the family's relentless fight for his release would work.

The capture of Kenneth Bigley had touched many Iraqis who saw the front-page newspaper ads and fliers his family put out. Many empathized with him as they saw him plead for his life on videos released by the terrorists.

Bigley's brother Phil read a statement on national television in Britain Friday evening, saying: "We can confirm that the family has now received absolute proof that Ken Bigley was executed by his captors."

Another brother, Paul, who led the family campaign and often criticized the British government for not helping, said Friday that British Prime Minister Tony Blair had "blood on his hands."

In a televised statement, Blair said: "I feel utter revulsion at the people who did this."

Bigley, 62, was kidnapped along with Americans Eugene Armstrong, 52, and Jack Hensley, 48, from their home in Baghdad on Sept. 16. Neighbors said a group of men grabbed them, threw them into a car and covered their mouths.

The three men worked for Gulf Supplies and Commercial Services. Bigley planned to retire in a few weeks.

Armstrong and Hensley were decapitated within a week of the kidnapping, and their deaths were shown in gruesome videos.

According to those who've seen the most recent tape, six men stood behind Bigley, who was wearing an orange jumpsuit and kneeling on the ground. One of the men spoke for about a minute, saying that Bigley would be killed. He then grabbed a knife from his belt and began severing Bigley's head. Three of the other men held Bigley down. The tape ended with the killer holding up the severed head.

The Monotheism and Jihad group of terrorist Abu Musab al-Zarqawi claimed responsibility for the kidnapping. The group had demanded the release of all female prisoners from Abu Ghraib and Basra prisons. But British officials said they didn't have any female prisoners, and U.S. officials said the two they had were "high-profile" prisoners who were being held at a special facility.

Immediately after Bigley's capture, his family publicly called for his release. They said they opposed Britain's involvement in Iraq, and they appealed to Iraqis to provide information that might help them.

Bigley's captors released two videos of him before the beheading. In both he wore an orange jumpsuit and asked for Blair's help. At times, he broke down in tears. On one tape he wept and buried his face in his hands when he talked about his 86-year-old mother, who he heard had been hospitalized for stress during the ordeal. A chain hung around his neck and feet.

At times, it appeared that Bigley's release was imminent. On Sept. 27, Paul Bigley said "something was happening" and that he was hopeful his brother would be released soon.

But Blair said, "There is no point in raising false hopes because of the nature of the people we're dealing with." He added, "We're doing everything we properly and legitimately can."

The British government said it doesn't negotiate with terrorists, but it was open to talking to Bigley's captors.

A group of Muslim clerics and Arab leaders pleaded for Bigley's life, including Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi and Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat.

On the streets, many had speculated that the terrorists would spare Bigley to drive a wedge between America and its British allies.

———

(Youssef reports for the Detroit Free Press.)

———

(c) 2004, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Iraq

Read Next

Latest News

Republicans expect the worst in 2019 but see glimmers of hope from doom and gloom.

By Franco Ordoñez

December 31, 2018 05:00 AM

Republicans are bracing for an onslaught of congressional investigations in 2019. But they also see glimmers of hope

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service