11 Iraqi national guardsmen killed, insurgents say | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

11 Iraqi national guardsmen killed, insurgents say

Nancy A. Youssef - Knight Ridder Newspapers

October 28, 2004 03:00 AM

BAGHDAD, Iraq—Iraq's hostage crisis continued unabated Thursday, with one group of insurgents claiming it had killed 11 Iraqi national guardsmen, another saying it had kidnapped a Polish worker and a third remaining silent on the fate of a Japanese hostage after a deadline passed.

Several groups announced that they would march Friday to call for the release of Margaret Hassan, the Baghdad director of CARE International, who was kidnapped last week.

The Ansar al-Sunnah Army insurgent group posted a video on its Web site showing what it said was the execution of the national guardsmen. In the video, one person was beheaded and the remaining 10 were shot in the head. The group also posted a statement saying it had captured the guardsmen on the highway between Baghdad and Hillah.

A senior Defense Ministry official said the ministry had investigated and didn't think the men killed were guardsmen.

"We don't have any missing guards from our units. This information is not true," said the official, who asked not to be named. "Perhaps those who were captured were former national guardsmen."

In its statement, the Ansar al-Sunnah Army said it investigated the men and after hearing "their confessions, it turned out this group was responsible for guarding the Crusader American troops in Radwaniya area and what's around it in southern Baghdad."

Soon after word of the men's execution hit Arabic news channels, al-Jazeera aired a video of a middle-aged woman with three men standing behind her, including one hold a handgun to her head.

Although the tape wasn't audible, al-Jazeera said a group calling itself the Abu Bakr al-Siddiq Fundamentalist Brigades said the unidentified woman was Polish and worked with U.S. troops. The group demanded that Poland withdraw its troops from Iraq and that all female prisoners be released.

Poland has about 2,400 troops in Iraq, the fifth largest number behind the United States, Great Britain, Italy and Australia.

In Warsaw, Defense Minister Jerzy Szmajdzinski said the government wouldn't withdraw troops, telling a Polish television station: "The Polish government is not in the business of meeting kidnappers' demands"

The Iraqi government said it thought the woman had been taken from her home in Baghdad.

The fate of Japanese hostage Shosei Koda was unknown. The 24-year-old had appeared on a video Tuesday, saying his captors would behead him if his nation didn't withdraw its troops.

Behind him was a sign that read "al-Qaeda Organization of Holy War of Mesopotamia," the group led by Jordanian terrorist leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi. That group has claimed responsibility for numerous beheadings, including those of Americans Eugene "Jack" Armstrong and Jack Hensley and Briton Kenneth Bigley.

The group gave the Japanese government 48 hours to withdraw its 500 troops from the country, a demand that Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi rejected. On Thursday, the prime minister appeared on Arabic television to urge the kidnappers to release Koda.

Members of Koda's family said they had had no idea he was in Iraq and that he had been traveling around the world. He reportedly arrived in Baghdad on Sunday.

The Women's Will organization, a women's advocacy group, said it would march Friday to the Abu Hanisa Mosque, a Sunni Muslim mosque in Baghdad, to demand the release of Hassan, a British-born Iraqi citizen who's in charge of CARE's Iraq operations. The group said several Shiite Muslim groups would join in the march.

———

(c) 2004, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Iraq

Read Next

Latest News

Republicans expect the worst in 2019 but see glimmers of hope from doom and gloom.

By Franco Ordoñez

December 31, 2018 05:00 AM

Republicans are bracing for an onslaught of congressional investigations in 2019. But they also see glimmers of hope

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service