Judge criticizes prosecution's pace; soldier to plead guilty to some charges | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

Judge criticizes prosecution's pace; soldier to plead guilty to some charges

Matthew Schofield - Knight Ridder Newspapers

August 23, 2004 03:00 AM

MANNHEIM, Germany—A military judge who's hearing cases of alleged abuse of prisoners at Iraq's Abu Ghraib prison on Monday ordered prosecutors to speed up their work.

Also, relatives said Staff Sgt. Ivan "Chip" Frederick would plead guilty Tuesday to some of the charges against him relating to the scandal.

"We were expecting this to happen, because at the beginning we said he was willing to take his licks for anything that he had done, and that time has now come," said Bill Lawson, Frederick's uncle.

"He also says the people who were responsible for putting this program together should come forward and take their licks too," Lawson added, referring to the military intelligence officers who allegedly ordered Frederick and the other defendants to "soften up" detainees for questioning.

At a hearing, Col. James Pohl criticized the slow pace at which the United States is releasing information on abuse at the prison to the defense and cautioned that he may be willing to temporarily dismiss all charges against Spc. Charles Graner Jr., who's accused of abusing detainees at Abu Ghraib, if significant progress hasn't been made by Oct. 21, when the next hearing is scheduled in Baghdad.

"This case has been moving very slowly," Pohl said. "If it was a priority, they'd have it done."

Military prosecutors agreed with the judges' assessment, saying they'd been pushing for results from four investigations into the prison abuses, but with little to show for their efforts other than unanswered e-mails and phone calls.

They said that in one of the investigations, a single researcher is going through hundreds of thousands of documents on a secret Internet server at the Iraqi prison to see whether any of them have a connection to the abuse cases. They estimated that without help, the investigator would finish in December.

Also at Monday's hearing, lawyers for Graner lost a series of motions.

Lead prosecutor Maj. Michael Holly questioned two criminal investigators who talked to Graner on Jan. 14, the day they began their investigation and the day after they received a compact disc from a concerned soldier containing photos of alleged abuse.

They said that after Graner initially agreed to allow them to search his body and living quarters, he later said they couldn't examine his computer, where they found hundreds of photos, some of which already had been erased. The judge ruled that the information was gathered properly and may be used in the case.

Graner has been charged with 12 counts of violating military laws, including adultery for allegedly impregnating co-defendant Pfc. Lynndie England. The other charges involve prisoner abuse, including four counts of cruelty and maltreatment. If convicted, he could be sentenced to 24 years in military prison, stripped of his rank and dishonorably discharged.

Graner's lawyers sought to show that the smiling face behind their client's thick glasses in the infamous Abu Ghraib prisoner-pile photo isn't that of a monster, but a stressed-out, exhausted patriot who was trying to follow orders and serve his country.

Speaking publicly for one of the first times since the photos surfaced, Graner said that when he was awakened Jan. 14 at 3 a.m.—an hour after he'd gone to bed—and read his rights, he knew he was in trouble.

Answering prosecution questions, the former civilian prison guard said he was sleepy that morning, but that he'd been living on three hours' sleep a night for months and was used to little sleep, and that he hadn't been denied any basic human necessities.

He said the interview took place after a day in which he'd been on the streets of Baghdad with a convoy, working from 5 a.m. until after 10 p.m., and unable to sleep until 2 a.m. He said that after more than half a year of dangerous work in Iraq, and having seen two of his friends injured, he was stressed.

His attorneys said Graner, who scored exceptionally high on a military intelligence test, questioned orders to "make sure that prisoner has a difficult night," but carried them out because he was assured they were legal.

His lawyers also questioned whether he can get a fair trial.

"The president of the United States—the commander in chief—as well as the secretary of defense have stated publicly that he is guilty and deserves extreme punishment," civilian attorney Guy Womack said in a news conference after the hearing. "It is inconceivable that any potential juror will not have heard that. ... How can that not intimidate a military officer?"

———

(c) 2004, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Iraq

Read Next

Latest News

Republicans expect the worst in 2019 but see glimmers of hope from doom and gloom.

By Franco Ordoñez

December 31, 2018 05:00 AM

Republicans are bracing for an onslaught of congressional investigations in 2019. But they also see glimmers of hope

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service