FBI investigating Halliburton's no-bid contracts in Iraq | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

FBI investigating Halliburton's no-bid contracts in Iraq

Seth Borenstein and Shannon McCaffrey - Knight Ridder Newspapers

October 28, 2004 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—The FBI appears to have widened its probe into Halliburton, investigating allegations from a top Army Corps of Engineers official into the way the Bush administration handed out billions of dollars in contracts to the politically connected company.

The attorney for Bunnatine Greenhouse revealed the investigation Thursday, less than a week before the election. Halliburton, not commenting on the specifics of the allegation, pointed to the timing. Lawyer Michael Kohn said his client had not yet been interviewed by the FBI but would cooperate fully with probe. Greenhouse, the Army Corps' chief contracting officer, has been granted official whistleblower protection.

The FBI had already been investigating whether Halliburton overcharged the government for fuel in Iraq. Officials at the FBI and the Justice Department declined to comment late Thursday.

Halliburton has been under scrutiny for the billions it has received in no-bid contracts in Iraq. Vice President Dick Cheney was the chief executive officer of Halliburton in the late 1990s and continues to receive deferred compensation from the company.

Army Corps spokeswoman Carol Sanders acknowledged that her agency is talking with the FBI about the matter, but declined to discuss details of the inquiry.

"The FBI has asked some questions. Our role is to cooperate," Sanders said Thursday. "I can't comment on any specifics of the investigation, if there is any investigation."

Greenhouse's most serious allegation is that in February 2003, before the war started, the Army Corps decided to go with Halliburton for a no-bid contract on oil infrastructure and fields repairs, if needed. Greenhouse objected to the presence of a Halliburton official in the room during planning and said it was wrong to give the firm a five-year emergency contract, instead of a more standard one-year contract.

When Greenhouse's superiors overruled her, she noted her objections in handwriting on the contract: "I caution that extending this sole source effort beyond a one year period could convey an invalid perception that there is not strong intent for a limited competition."

Later, after the $7 billion oil contract became public and the Pentagon came under criticism, the contract was withdrawn, split in two and bid publicly. Halliburton won one of the contracts.

Halliburton has downplayed Greenhouse's allegations as "old news" and questioned the political timing of their release.

"The GAO said, earlier this year, that the contract was properly awarded because Halliburton was the only contractor that could do the work," Halliburton spokeswoman Wendy Hall said. "We look forward to the end of the election, because no matter who is elected president, Halliburton is proud to serve the troops just as we have for the past 60 years for both Democrat and Republican administrations."

In a related matter, the inspector general for the now-defunct Coalition Provisional Authority estimated that at least $1.1 million in government property entrusted to Halliburton was lost or unaccounted for in the staging area of Kuwait. About 43 percent of the inventory items that auditors looked for appeared lost.

The findings come after a July report concluded that the contractor couldn't account for $18.6 million in U.S. property it was responsible for in Baghdad.

In the latest report, released Thursday, auditors listed 30 items they couldn't find in Kuwait that Halliburton's subsidiary, Kellogg Brown & Root, was supposed to safeguard. The list includes seven small trucks, three portable generators, a laptop computer, four printers, a 119-gallon water heater, four bulletproof vests, a couple bulletproof helmets, a microwave and a portable toilet worth $438.

The IG examined a small percentage of the government's inventory that was under Halliburton's control. Based on that sample, it estimated the value of the missing goods.

Both Halliburton and the Defense Contracting Management Agency, which oversees the company contract, faulted the inspector general for using a small random sample of inventory searches.

The firm "operates an approved government property control system that has stood the test of time, even under the stresses of supporting the U.S. troops in Iraq and Kuwait, and the challenges of property control in a war zone," Halliburton's Hall said. "The projections contained in this audit were based on an extremely limited sample of 30 items, and we do not believe such a small sample can be used to make such broad generalizations."

Hall said some of the items were never U.S. property—a point disputed by the IG—and other items were given to the Iraqi government.

———

(c) 2004, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Iraq

Read Next

Latest News

Republicans expect the worst in 2019 but see glimmers of hope from doom and gloom.

By Franco Ordoñez

December 31, 2018 05:00 AM

Republicans are bracing for an onslaught of congressional investigations in 2019. But they also see glimmers of hope

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service