United States' key fund for natural disasters drained by tsunami aid | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

United States' key fund for natural disasters drained by tsunami aid

Jonathan S. Landay and Warren P. Strobel - Knight Ridder Newspapers

January 03, 2005 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—The $350 million pledged by the United States for aid to tsunami-battered Indian Ocean nations will deplete most of the government's key emergency fund for helping victims of natural disasters around the world, U.S. officials said Monday.

The commitment of most of the $384.9 million International Disaster and Famine Assistance Account, which is administered by the U.S. Agency for International Development, underlines the enormity of last week's catastrophe.

"We probably have not managed a natural disaster of this magnitude before," James Kunder, assistant administrator of USAID and a veteran of numerous relief operations, said in a telephone interview.

The closest parallel to the tsunami that wreaked devastation from Indonesia to Somalia may be Hurricane Mitch, which shattered parts of several Central American countries in 1998, he said. Three months after the hurricane, the United States had given $300 million in aid.

While some of $350 million for the Asian disaster will come from other funds, most will be drawn from the International Disaster and Famine Assistance Account, U.S. officials said.

The $350 million doesn't include contributions to the relief operations by the Department of Defense, which was providing 12,600 service personnel, an aircraft carrier, an amphibious assault vessel, a hospital ship and dozens of helicopters.

A Pentagon spokeswoman was unable to give an amount for the military's contributions, which were being covered from a special Department of Defense fund for humanitarian disasters.

U.S. officials said the USAID's emergency disaster fund could be replenished by moving funds from other accounts, but Kunder said it was likely that the agency also would seek a supplemental appropriation from Congress.

The Bush administration was also expected to seek funds from Congress to help underwrite long-term tsunami recovery efforts, such as the rebuilding of homes and infrastructure.

More than 145,000 people were killed by huge walls of water that swept across the Indian Ocean as far as East Africa after a massive Dec. 26 earthquake off the west coast of the Indonesian island of Sumatra. The death toll is expected to surpass 150,000.

The Bush administration initially pledged $15 million in aid, drawing criticism of an inadequate response. It raised the amount to $35 million, and then on Dec. 31 to $350 million.

As of Sunday, $37.3 million of the $350 million was committed to efforts to deliver drinking water, food, temporary shelters and other immediate help for an estimated 3 million to 5 million people left homeless, hungry and facing disease.

Kunder said he expected funds to be dispersed at a faster rate in coming days as deliveries of aid were being stepped up and U.S. assessment teams completed their surveys of the greatest immediate needs.

USAID's main priorities now are improving onsite coordination of relief deliveries, preventing outbreak of epidemics and getting cash flowing into crippled economies, he said.

As an example, Kunder said, about $10 million has been committed in Sri Lanka to "cash for work" programs to help stimulate local economies and bring prices down.

The largest amounts of U.S. emergency aid have gone to relief operations in Indonesia and Sri Lanka, the two worst hit nations. Other recipients included India, Thailand, the Maldives and Somalia.

Channeled through national and international relief agencies, U.S. funds have been used for the purchase and delivery of such materials as fresh water, water storage containers, plastic shelter sheeting, blankets, mosquito netting, medicines and clothing.

Last week, Sen. Patrick Leahy of Vermont, the senior Democrat on the Senate subcommittee that oversees foreign aid, suggested that the administration include funds for long-term tsunami recovery in a new financing package that it's expected to seek later this month for U.S. operations in Iraq and Afghanistan that could top $100 billion.

Another option, he proposed in letters to Bush and Secretary of State Colin Powell, would be for the administration to ask Congress to redirect to tsunami relief operations unspent funds approved for Iraq reconstruction efforts.

Powell rejected that idea just before departing Sunday for a tour of the region.

"There is a need for those (Iraq reconstruction) funds and those funds are now being obligated and spent, and so that is not, in my judgment anyway, a source for tsunami relief funding," Powell said.

———

(c) 2005, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

GRAPHICS (from KRT Graphics, 202-383-6064): 20050103 TSUNAMI donate, 20050103 TSUNAMI military

Need to map

Related stories from McClatchy DC

latest-news

1013460

May 24, 2007 02:17 AM

Read Next

Latest News

Republicans expect the worst in 2019 but see glimmers of hope from doom and gloom.

By Franco Ordoñez

December 31, 2018 05:00 AM

Republicans are bracing for an onslaught of congressional investigations in 2019. But they also see glimmers of hope

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service