Bush to request $950 million to help tsunami-hit areas in Asia | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

Bush to request $950 million to help tsunami-hit areas in Asia

William Douglas - Knight Ridder Newspapers

February 09, 2005 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—President Bush on Wednesday said he'll ask Congress for $950 million to support areas devastated by December's tsunami in Asia, more than doubling his previous commitment.

The pledge places the United States as the top donor among nations, a move that could blunt international criticism that Washington's initial response to the Dec. 26 tragedy that killed at least 157,000 people was miserly.

Australia had been the lead donor with $810 million, followed by Germany's $660 million, the European Commission's $624 million and Japan's $500 million.

The new money boosts the previous U.S. pledge of $350 million and will be part of the $80 billion request that Bush is seeking to cover the costs of the U.S. military operations in Afghanistan and Iraq.

The administration will use the additional funds for reconstruction, the creation of a tsunami and natural disaster early warning system for the Indian Ocean and to repay the Department of Defense and U.S. Agency for International Development for the assistance they've already provided to the region.

"We will use these resources to provide assistance and to work with affected nations on rebuilding vital infrastructure that re-energizes economies and strengthens societies," Bush said in a statement.

U.S. officials hailed the request as a significant contribution and a sign of the Bush administration's commitment to rebuilding the affected Indian Ocean region, from bricks and mortars to the pocketbooks of its people.

About $339 million of the money will be used for reconstruction of infrastructure such as roads, schools and water distribution systems. Administration officials said the rebuilding of roads could be tricky because officials will likely have to find new, more solid locations for them.

Another $168 million would go toward helping victims move from temporary shelters to permanent housing in their communities. The funds will also be used to get fishing villages and other economic engines in the region back on their feet.

About $35 million would go toward the early warning system and disaster mitigation efforts.

———

(c) 2005, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Need to map

Read Next

Latest News

Republicans expect the worst in 2019 but see glimmers of hope from doom and gloom.

By Franco Ordoñez

December 31, 2018 05:00 AM

Republicans are bracing for an onslaught of congressional investigations in 2019. But they also see glimmers of hope

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service