Ballot irregularities, recount delay announcement of election results | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

Ballot irregularities, recount delay announcement of election results

Tom Lasseter - Knight Ridder Newspapers

February 09, 2005 03:00 AM

BAGHDAD, Iraq—Iraqi election officials on Wednesday delayed announcing the official results of the Jan. 30 elections by several days to allow a recount of some 150,000 votes and to sort through thousands more that won't be counted because of irregularities.

Also, a wave of kidnappings and assassinations, which had tapered off in the days after the elections, picked back up Wednesday, reinforcing fears that the elections, in which millions of voters risked their lives to cast ballots, hadn't impeded the insurgency.

Lt. Gen. Lance Smith, the deputy commander of U.S. Central Command, the division of the military that's responsible for the Iraq operation, said in a briefing at the Pentagon that violence in Iraq was back to pre-election levels of roughly 40 insurgent attacks a day.

"People count them different, but the numbers are about where they were before we got into the pre-election violence," Smith said.

He said American forces had had success hunting down insurgents, particularly those linked to Jordanian terrorist Abu Musab al-Zarqawi. But he cautioned that "until we get the economic engine going in Iraq, we're going to continue having some problems and giving them an obvious recruiting base to recruit from."

He also said he was pleased with the progress that Iraqi security forces had made in recent months.

On Wednesday, an Iraqi television correspondent and his 3-year-old son were shot to death in the southern city of Basra. Abdul Hussein Khazal worked for the U.S.-backed Al-Hurra ("Freedom") station. He was ambushed outside his home at about 8 a.m.

A senior official from the Interior Ministry and an official at the Housing and Construction Ministry also were reported kidnapped. Spokesmen from the ministries weren't available to comment.

The fate of an Italian journalist nabbed outside Baghdad University earlier this week remained unclear. One group claiming responsibility reportedly has claimed to have killed her, while another said she would be freed shortly.

Meanwhile, the counting of votes continued.

Iraqi electoral officials said earlier in the week that the final vote count would be announced by Thursday at the latest. That deadline has been swept aside without a new one set.

According to partial results released earlier this week, the Shiite Muslim cleric-led United Iraqi Alliance was ahead, with more than 2.3 million votes. A coalition of Kurdish parties was second, with more than 1.1 million votes. Interim Prime Minister Ayad Allawi's slate was third, at 620,459 votes.

It's impossible to gauge the potential impact of uncounted votes or ballots slated for recount because voting officials haven't said how many Iraqis voted and haven't released totals from Baghdad, Basra or Mosul, the country's largest cities.

At issue in the recount are 300 boxes, with about 500 ballots each, that Iraqi electoral commission member Adel al-Lami said were flagged for problems. The boxes, he said, were in many cases accompanied by tally sheets that didn't add up to the numbers of votes inside. In other instances, he said, the boxes were from provinces where the commission knew voter turnout was low, but the boxes were stuffed full of ballots.

The recount may suggest that monitoring procedures for the counting process are working, although the voting itself was marred by violence and charges of irregularities.

An unspecified number of ballots were sent to Baghdad from the northern city of Mosul in a variety of unofficial containers, including 174 plastic sacks.

The sacks and various plastic and cardboard boxes were stacked in a corner of the main vote-tally center in Baghdad.

Election officials said this week that gunmen stormed several polling stations in and around Mosul, taking ballots and ballot boxes. Assyrian Christian groups have said that tens of thousands of their members were unable to vote in the Mosul area because polling stations were closed.

Farid Ayar, an electoral commission member, said he thought some boxes were taken from polling stations a day or two before the elections and returned full of ballots. He said he based that conclusion on the fact that the ballots were stacked neatly on top of one another instead of being crammed in, as happens when people drop their votes through a slot.

Asked how many votes from Mosul may have been tampered with, Ayar said, "We really don't have any idea."

———

(Knight Ridder Newspapers correspondent Nancy A. Youssef, who reports for the Detroit Free Press, and special correspondent Yasser al Salihee contributed to this report from Baghdad.)

———

(c) 2005, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Iraq

Read Next

Latest News

Republicans expect the worst in 2019 but see glimmers of hope from doom and gloom.

By Franco Ordoñez

December 31, 2018 05:00 AM

Republicans are bracing for an onslaught of congressional investigations in 2019. But they also see glimmers of hope

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service