Initial uncertainty followed by an outburst of joy in Vatican City | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

Initial uncertainty followed by an outburst of joy in Vatican City

Matthew Schofield and Patricia Montemurri - Knight Ridder Newspapers

April 19, 2005 03:00 AM

VATICAN CITY—When white smoke came billowing out of the Sistine Chapel chimney Tuesday afternoon, people sprinted into St. Peter's Square from every direction.

"Papa, papa, papa," they yelled.

But there'd been two previous false alarms: Smoke that looked white but turned out to be black.

"White or black?" you could hear people asking. "What color?"

Suddenly, the basilica's large bells started to chime. It was a new signal ordered by Pope John Paul II when he rewrote conclave rules in 1996, and it did the trick. The crowd began to cheer, building to a crescendo until they drowned out the bells.

It was a celebratory atmosphere; it felt like a sporting event. Thanks to cheap air travel, the crowd was far more international than the mostly Italian group that had assembled after 20th-century papal conclaves. Flags from every continent abounded.

As people poured in from every opening in the square, they chattered excitedly. A woman in a bright blue scarf hugged a friend to stop her from bouncing and shouted into her ear: "What do you think, piccolo or grande?" She was referring to the three sets of papal garments that had been made to accommodate a pope of any size.

Someone in St. Peter's Basilica parted the white curtains at the center window just long enough to peek out at a crowd that had squeezed toward the steps, yet still stretched onto nearby roads, 100,000 strong and growing.

The curtains were parted further, and Cardinal Medina Estevez of Chile stepped onto the basilica's balcony. The air seemed to crackle with electric anticipation. He held a stern visage.

"Dear brothers and sisters," he said in four languages: Italian, German, Spanish and English. "Habemus papam!" We have a new pope!

After Pope Benedict XVI emerged and addressed the crowd, the reaction was predictably mixed.

"He's a good man, a conservative traditionalist—just what the church needs right now," said Ugo Melillo, 72, a Vatican bureaucrat who stood in St. Peter's Square with the masses after the announcement.

Marieloa Luciani, 38, wasn't so sure: "I have been praying for someone a little bit younger, maybe a bit more popular. This just looks like in-house lobbying or politics."

Giovanni Kessler, an Italian member of Parliament from Trent, said: "He's for sure a great person of culture and faith, but I think this wasn't a courageous decision. It was a defensive choice."

Not so, said the Rev. Timothy MacDonald, 30, of Flint, Mich., whom Ratzinger ordained as a deacon at St. Peter's in 1999.

"It's going to be a very difficult thing for Americans to accept," he said. "But they don't know him. When they read his own words, they'll believe."

———

(c) 2005, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

PHOTOS (from KRT Photo Service, 202-383-6099): POPE

Need to map

Related stories from McClatchy DC

latest-news

1016833

May 24, 2007 03:56 AM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service