Bush pressed to answer `Downing Street memo' questions | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

Bush pressed to answer `Downing Street memo' questions

Ruby L. Bailey and Ely Portillo - Knight Ridder Newspapers

June 16, 2005 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—A hearing Thursday on a secret British intelligence memo that said President Bush was committed to waging war on Iraq months before he said so publicly ended with a request for Congress to open an inquiry into whether Bush should be impeached for misleading the nation.

"All we're asking is to know the truth," said John Bonifaz, co-founder of AfterDowningStreet,org. "Some of his supporters want to say it's a question of failed intelligence. If that's all it was, so be it."

But if not, said Bonifaz, "then the American people and the U.S. Congress deserve to know."

The hearing focused on the now-famous Downing Street memo, named after the Downing Street office of British Prime Minister Tony Blair. The memo was written on July 23, 2002, by a top Blair adviser.

The memo reports that Bush appeared determined in summer 2002 to proceed with war and had "fixed" intelligence to boost his case before the country and the world. The war began March 19, 2003.

The Sunday Times of London published the secret memo May 1, 2005.

At one point the memo says: "It seemed clear that Bush has made up his mind to take military action, even if the timing was not yet decided. But the case was thin. Saddam was not threatening his neighbours, and WMD capability was less than that of Libya, North Korea or Iran."

Bush and Blair have denied twisting intelligence or intentionally misleading the public.

Thursday's hearing on the memo was organized by Rep. John Conyers, D-Mich., the ranking Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee.

It was held in a cramped Capitol basement room and was attended by about 20 House Democrats and some anti-war activists. Republicans, who control Congress, refused to hold an official hearing or to participate, so Conyers termed it a "forum."

Witnesses including former CIA analyst Ray McGovern and Joe Wilson, a former U.S. ambassador to Africa, said the memo offers new proof that Bush took advantage of a nation and Congress traumatized by the Sept. 11 terror attacks and that he manipulated intelligence to suggest that former Iraqi President Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction.

Rep. Charles Rangel, D-N.Y., said, "The evidence that appears to be building up points to a direction of whether the president deliberately misled Congress. I want so badly to believe that no president would ever sacrifice human life."

"Now we're at $300 billion, countless lives and there's no end in sight," said Rep. Barbara Lee, D-Calif.

The official cost of the war so far is $208 billion and the lives of 1,704 U.S. troops, according to the Congressional Research Service and the Department of Defense.

Rep. Maxine Waters, D-Calif., on Thursday announced the formation of the "Out of Iraq" caucus in Congress to press to bring home the 140,000 U.S. soldiers in Iraq.

Conyers delivered petitions signed by 105 members of Congress and some 540,000 signatures sent via e-mail to a security gate at the White House early Thursday evening. The petitions urged Bush to thoroughly answer questions about the memo. MoveOn Pac helped Conyers collect the signatures.

Several hundred supporters of a full investigation into the memo gathered in Lafayette Park across from the White House late Thursday afternoon. It was organized by Code Pink and Progressive Democrats of America.

Protesters held signs reading "Bush Lied, Innocents Died," "We Impeached Clinton For Lying" and "Impeach for Peace."

One protestor, Werner Lange, 58, from Ohio, came dressed as Uncle Sam. He carried a sign saying "Impeach Him."

"Because of this lie, hundreds of thousands have died," Lange said. Bush "should be charged with war crimes."

Allison Yorra, 44, of Washington, D.C., said, "I want the truth to come out about this war. It's all been lies. It certainly breaks my heart every time I see or hear about a soldier being killed."

Yorra said of Bush: "How do you sleep at night, knowing you did this for your own benefit?"

Six members of the D.C. chapter of Freerepublic.com held a small counter-protest in support of Bush's policies. They brought an Iraqi expatriate, Nofel al Jazairi, who stood solemnly and held a sign reading "Saddam Lied, Millions Died."

Organizer Kristin Taylor said the Downing Street memo is "much ado about nothing."

"I think President Bush stands on the side of freedom and democracy, and I think he did the right thing for the Iraqi people and the American people and the world by taking the fight to the terrorists in Iraq," Taylor said.

———

(Bailey reports for The Detroit Free Press. Portillo works in the Knight Ridder Washington bureau.)

———

(c) 2005, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

PHOTOS (from KRT Photo Service, 202-383-6099): USIRAQ-MEMO

Iraq

Related stories from McClatchy DC

latest-news

1018779

May 24, 2007 04:41 AM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service