17 feared dead in apparent shootdown of helicopter in Afghanistan | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

17 feared dead in apparent shootdown of helicopter in Afghanistan

Drew Brown - Knight Ridder Newspapers

June 29, 2005 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—There were no confirmed survivors from a CH-47 Chinook helicopter that crashed Tuesday while ferrying U.S. special operations troops to a firefight in eastern Afghanistan, apparently shot down by a rocket-propelled grenade, Pentagon officials said Wednesday.

The helicopter was dispatched after an American team on the ground radioed for reinforcements, according to the Afghan Defense Ministry. Seventeen people were aboard, including Navy SEALs, a Pentagon official said.

All aboard were feared dead, but it was unclear if there were survivors because bad weather and rough mountainous terrain were hampering recovery efforts, officials said. Members of the team on the ground were missing, said Pentagon officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to discuss an operation that involved Special Forces troops and remains under investigation.

If the troops are confirmed to have died, it would be the heaviest loss of American lives in a single attack in Afghanistan.

At his nomination hearing to be chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff on Wednesday, Marine Corps Gen. Peter Pace said it "appears to be a shootdown of one our special operations helicopters."

"We believe it was a rocket-propelled grenade, but we're not 100 percent sure," he said.

The helicopter was ferrying the troops into a mountainous area in Kunar province in eastern Afghanistan as part of Operation Red Wing, which was aimed at routing Taliban and al-Qaida militants in the region. The area is close to the Pakistan border and has been the scene of frequent clashes between U.S. forces and militants.

Reports from Pakistan quoted a Taliban spokesman as saying rebel fighters had shot down the helicopter, but military officials at the Pentagon said that couldn't be confirmed.

The crash was the second of a Vietnam-era Chinook helicopter in Afghanistan this year. Fifteen U.S. servicemen and three American contractors were killed in April when their Chinook crashed during a sandstorm near Bagram Air Base, headquarters for the U.S.-led coalition.

The latest incident comes as U.S. troops and Afghan government forces have stepped up operations in southern and eastern Afghanistan as part of an effort to disrupt Taliban and al-Qaida militants, who officials say seek to destabilize the country before its national assembly elections, scheduled for September.

The U.S. and Afghan forces have been fighting a low-level counterinsurgency campaign for more than three years, mostly along the country's border with Pakistan's tribal areas. Clashes have spiked in recent months, leaving 29 U.S. troops and hundreds of alleged militants dead. Last week, the military reported that it had killed more than 70 rebels in airstrikes during an operation near a village called Deh Chopan in southern Afghanistan.

———

(c) 2005, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Need to map

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service