Attacks stoke U.S. debate about who covers losses from terror attacks | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

Attacks stoke U.S. debate about who covers losses from terror attacks

Kevin G. Hall - Knight Ridder Newspapers

July 07, 2005 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—The bombings in London Thursday came in the midst of a debate in the United States about whether to extend a post-Sept. 11 federal program that provides a financial safety net for the insurance industry against devastating terror-related losses.

The Terrorism Risk Insurance Act of 2002 provides federal coverage of 90 percent of insured losses after a deductible if a terrorist act on U.S. soil directed by foreign interests causes $5 million or more in total damage. The Sept. 11, 2001, attacks resulted in more than $32 billion in damage claims. The act seeks to limit risks to the insurance industry and thus boost the availability of terrorism insurance policies for property owners.

The act is due to expire at the end of this year. Last week Treasury Secretary John Snow sent a report to Congress saying that insurers no longer needed direct aid from the federal government.

That has angered business groups ranging from the insurance industry to owners of sports stadiums, entertainment arenas and theme parks. They are calling for a two-year extension of the act, saying more time is needed to develop adequate insurance coverage against terrorist acts. Congress must decide by year's end.

"This (the London bombings) underscores that terrorism defies predictability and is an uninsurable risk and that government involvement is necessary," David A. Winston, senior vice president of federal affairs for the National Association of Mutual Insurance Companies, said in a statement to Knight Ridder.

Critics of extending the act, known by its acronym TRIA, believe the program is a subsidy to a powerful industry that's had four years to adjust to a changed environment.

"It's cheap reinsurance for the industry," said Kent Smetters, a visiting scholar at the American Enterprise Institute, a conservative think tank in Washington. The insurance industry made similar—and unsuccessful —arguments that it needed federal help because it could not accurately predict hurricanes and earthquakes, he said.

"Earthquake models stink, yet you can buy private insurance for earthquakes. These industry arguments are kind of bogus. The fact of the matter is, if the price is right, they are willing to insure the risk," said Smetters.

Treasury Secretary Snow said as much in last week's report.

"It is our view that continuation of the program in its current form is likely to hinder the further development of the insurance market by crowding out innovation and capacity building," Snow wrote in a June 30 letter to Rep. Michael Oxley, R-Ohio, chairman of the House Financial Services Committee.

There are two bills before the House of Representatives and one in the Senate to extend TRIA by two years. Snow said the Bush administration would accept an extension only if the trigger for government coverage is $500 million in total losses, not the current $5 million, among other reforms.

The Congressional Budget Office, an analytical arm of Congress, said in a January report that by "subsidizing insurance rates, TRIA weakens owners' incentives" to invest in security systems and build blast-resistant buildings.

But in a September 2004 study, R. Glenn Hubbard, chief economic adviser to President Bush from 2001 to 2003, called for extending TRIA. Abolishing the act, he said, would just drive insurers from risky markets like New York City and Washington, D.C., he said.

"Fewer businesses and commercial properties will have terrorism coverage, particularly in urban areas, exposing more businesses of all kinds and sizes to bankruptcy in the event of a terrorist event," wrote Hubbard, now dean of the Columbia University Graduate School of Business in New York.

———

(c) 2005, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Need to map

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service