Group says it has killed Egyptian envoy to Iraq | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

Group says it has killed Egyptian envoy to Iraq

Leila Fadel and Hannah Allam - Knight Ridder Newspapers

July 07, 2005 03:00 AM

BAGHDAD, Iraq—The group al-Qaida in Iraq announced Thursday that it had killed Egypt's top envoy to Baghdad. The statement accompanied a chilling video of the diplomat blindfolded and under insurgent interrogation.

Ihab al-Sherif—who was to be the first full-ranked Arab ambassador to Iraq since the U.S. invasion in 2003—was killed five days after he was snatched from his upscale neighborhood in Baghdad, according to the Internet statement. The Egyptian government later confirmed that el Sherif was dead.

Governments around the world condemned the killing and other attacks that have shaken the small diplomatic community in Iraq.

"This shows that terrorists have no limits," said Hamid al-Bayati, Iraq's deputy foreign minister.

Al-Qaida in Iraq said the killing was al-Sherif's punishment for apostasy—heretical religious beliefs—and for serving as a diplomat in Israel. In the videotape of his interrogation by militants, al-Sherif, dressed in a polo shirt, calmly recited his name, address and occupation. He said on the tape that he'd served in Israel as deputy Egyptian ambassador from 1999 to 2003.

Al-Qaida frequently has accused its opponents—including other Muslims—of apostasy.

Al-Sherif was kidnapped when he went to pick up a newspaper late Saturday. Al-Qaida in Iraq claimed his kidnapping and called the Egyptian government an ally of "Jews and Christians."

On Monday, Arab and Muslim diplomats took extra security precautions after gunmen fired on the Pakistani ambassador and Bahrain's top diplomat, who was shot in the hand. The ambassador from Pakistan, Mohammed Younis Khan, was moved to Jordan temporarily for his safety, Iraq Foreign Ministry officials said. Hassan Malallah al-Ansari also was moved from Iraq, but the Bahraini government upgraded him to full ambassador to thwart al-Qaida's attempt to isolate Iraq from nearby countries.

Officials from a handful of embassies declined this week to comment on the kidnapping. Egyptian officials in Baghdad sounded shaken over the phone. They accepted condolences, but wouldn't offer details on the death or their plans for the mission in Iraq.

"This will not affect the diplomatic relationships," said al-Bayati, the Iraqi deputy foreign minister. "On the contrary, it will make the Egyptians more determined to send an ambassador."

Al-Sherif, who had been in the country only a month, apparently was singled out because of Egypt's decision to send the first Arab ambassador to Iraq since Saddam Hussein's regime was removed from power.

The Arabic satellite channel Al-Arabiya aired interviews with Al-Sherif's daughter and mother, who were shocked and sobbing.

"We are Muslims," his tearful daughter said in the broadcast.

———

(Special correspondent Huda Ahmed contributed to this report from Baghdad.)

———

(c) 2005, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Iraq

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service