Recruitment problems will pass, National Guard chief says | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

Recruitment problems will pass, National Guard chief says

Drew Brown - Knight Ridder Newspapers

July 12, 2005 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—The Army National Guard probably won't meet its recruiting goals for this year, but its top general said Tuesday that he expected the situation to turn around in the next 18 months.

Most Guard recruiting is done by word of mouth, and when soldiers return from Iraq they will tell others how important it is to serve their country, Lt. Gen. Steven Blum, the chief of the National Guard Bureau, said Tuesday. He couldn't predict whether the Guard would meet its goal in the future, but he was confident that it could "close the gap."

Other military services also appeal to patriotism in recruiting, but during wartime the National Guard offers an additional incentive of "going with your hometown team," Blum said. "You train with that team. You deploy with that team, and there's a sense of bonding there, there's a sense of cohesion there that no other force brings to the plate ... and that's quite powerful."

The Pentagon announced Monday that the Army National Guard had fallen short of its recruiting goals in June for the ninth straight month and was down nearly 25 percent for the year.

Blum said the reserve force was at about 330,000, or more than 94 percent of its authorized strength of 350,000, and that re-enlistment rates had hit an all-time high.

"It's not a case where we're in serious crisis mode," Blum said at a breakfast meeting. The Army Guard had been able to perform its missions in Iraq, Afghanistan, at home and elsewhere, he said.

"Do I need them? Yeah, I need them," he said. "Can we operate without them? Yes, we are."

Deployments in Iraq and Afghanistan have strained U.S. ground forces tremendously, especially the Army, which is down nearly 8,000 recruits for the year, according to figures released Monday. But the Army National Guard has been hit the worst of all the active and part-time services, seeing recruiting shortfalls for all but one of the past 18 months.

Currently, Army National Guardsmen make up about 40 percent of the 138,000 U.S. troops in Iraq. When eight Guard brigades are deployed by the end of July, the National Guard will make up almost 50 percent of the Army's combat forces in Iraq, National Guard spokesman Mark Allen said. That figure will represent the "high-water mark" of the Guard's commitment to the Iraq war, Blum said.

Blum said the Army National Guard's most experienced soldiers are re-enlisting at unprecedented rates. The figure the Pentagon posted for June was nearly 106 percent of the re-enlistment target goal for the month.

"We're doing pretty damn good when you consider that we've been at war for three and a half years," Blum said.

———

(c) 2005, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Need to map

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service