National Guard orders 4,200 military policemen to New Orleans | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

National Guard orders 4,200 military policemen to New Orleans

Drew Brown - Knight Ridder Newspapers

September 01, 2005 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—The National Guard has ordered 4,200 military police officers to New Orleans to help overwhelmed civilian authorities in the swamped city restore order in the wake of deadly Hurricane Katrina, officials said Thursday.

Lt. Gen. Steven H. Blum, chief of the National Guard Bureau, said 1,400 National Guard military police would arrive in New Orleans by Friday, followed by another 1,400 on Saturday and 1,400 more on Sunday.

"These are trained professionals," Blum said, speaking at a press conference with Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff and other federal officials. "They are military-police-trained, badge-carrying law enforcement officers."

Blum and other officials said the Guardsmen would operate under the direction of civilian law enforcement officials.

Blum didn't specify which states the Guardsmen would be coming from, but he said that National Guard relief efforts in Louisiana and Mississippi would eventually draw in citizen soldiers from nearly every state in the country.

"We will be there ... for as long as they need it," he said.

Jack Harrison, a spokesman for the National Guard Bureau in Washington, said that more than 13,000 National Guard troops were on duty in the Gulf states. That number was expected to top 30,000 "within the next couple of days," he said.

Lt. Col. Ellen Krenke said National Guard troops from West Virginia, Washington, D.C., Utah, New Mexico, Missouri, Oklahoma, Washington state, Indiana, Georgia, Kentucky, Michigan and Arkansas have been sent to the stricken region or are awaiting deployment orders.

Louisiana and Mississippi each have about 3,000 National Guardsmen serving in Iraq, leaving shortages in troops and equipment. With the National Guard's commitment in Iraq at its highest point since the war began, there have been serious concerns that the Guard lacks sufficient troops or critical assets such as bulldozers, water purification equipment, cargo trucks and helicopters to handle the crisis. But Blum said earlier this week that the Guard could "clearly handle this situation" and the war at the same time.

More than 1,100 Guardsmen from Missouri, including military police units, reported deployment orders Thursday; 2,500 troops from the Pennsylvania National Guard were preparing to deploy; 300 had been called up from South Carolina. Kansas reported 120 Guardsmen would be sent. California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said his state would send 500 Guard troops. The Texas National Guard said it had dispatched 1,000 soldiers and airmen to New Orleans and plans to send more in the coming days.

The National Guard and active-duty military have mounted a domestic rescue and relief effort unmatched in recent U.S. history.

Michael Kucahrek, a spokesman for U.S. Northern Command, which is spearheading the active-duty military's portion of relief efforts, said more than 7,000 soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines are taking part.

Most are sailors. The Navy said Thursday that the aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman was preparing to leave for the Gulf of Mexico to serve as a floating command center. The carrier will stop off in Jacksonville, Fla., to pick up helicopters for search-and-rescue missions and is expected to arrive off the Gulf Coast by Tuesday, said Lt. Herb Josey, a Navy spokesman. The carrier will be accompanied by the USS Whidbey, an amphibious landing ship.

Helicopters from the USS Bataan, an amphibious assault ship, were already flying search-and-rescue missions in Louisiana and Mississippi.

The Marines dispatched six CH-53 and two CH-46 helicopters from New River Air Station in North Carolina to assist in search-and-rescue operations, said Capt. Gabrielle Chapin, a Marine Corps spokeswoman. Four CH-53 aircraft have been dispatched from a Marine Corps Reserve unit at Willow Grove, Pa.; three UH-1 "Huey" helicopters and one AH-1 Cobra gunship had been sent from Marine reserve units in Marietta, Ga., and Belle Chase, La., Chapin said.

A Marine Corps Reserve unit from Jacksonville, Fla., had sent eight amphibious assault vehicles to Gulfport, Miss., Chapin said.

The Air Force said that about 100 combat engineers from Hurlburt Field in Florida were sent to Keesler Air Force Base in Mississippi to deliver supplies, remove debris and set up temporary shelters.

The 5th Combat Communications Group from Robins Air Force Base in Georgia departed to set up communications at Keesler and at a temporary hospital in New Orleans.

Two aeromedical evacuation teams from Scott Air Force Base in Illinois left Thursday for New Orleans.

A U-2 spy plane from Barksdale Air Force Base in California flew over the Gulf Coast Thursday, taking high-resolution photos to help determine the extent of the damage, the Air Force said. The 347th Rescue Wing from Moody Air Force Base in Georgia said its helicopters had rescued 211 people in Mississippi.

The Air Force airlifted 190 tons of supplies. Air Force crews had arrived at New Orleans International Airport and Lafayette Regional Airport to pave the way for C-17 and C-5 cargo jets to deliver more supplies.

———

(c) 2005, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Need to map

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service