Congressman pulls out of fund-raiser at Rolling Stones concert | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

Congressman pulls out of fund-raiser at Rolling Stones concert

Andres R. Martinez - Knight Ridder Newspapers

August 25, 2005 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—A conservative Texas Republican won't be holding a fund-raiser at the Rolling Stones concert in Washington this fall after all, his spokesman said Thursday.

Rep. Michael McCaul's "family came first," Jack Hirschfield said a day after Knight Ridder asked about McCaul's participation in the Oct. 3 event. The Stones' upcoming album includes a number that makes many supporters of President Bush cringe. It's titled "Sweet Neo Con" and it begins: "You ride around your white castle, on your little white horse/ You lie to your people, and blame it on your war, of course."

Although Hirschfield said Thursday that the Stones' fund-raiser was taken off McCaul's schedule in June, Hirschfield hadn't been aware of it when a reporter had called earlier this week. The fund-raiser's organizer, Nancy Bocskor, said she first heard that McCaul was pulling out on Wednesday.

"Stuff came up and he needed to be with the kids," she said. "And his spokesman apologized."

The Stones concert was to have been a joint event for McCaul and Rep. Kevin Brady, another Republican from the president's home state. Late Thursday, Bocskor confirmed that the event would go ahead just for Brady. She bought 40 tickets, which she planned to sell for $2,000 each.

Brady's spokesman didn't return phone messages left over three days.

The Wall Street Journal, in an article earlier this month, included the McCaul-Brady event among several awkward encounters between liberal performers and conservative politicians seeking to raise money.

In another of them, Reps. John Shimkus, R-Ill., and Thomas Reynolds, R-N.Y., plan a fund-raiser at an Elton John concert Sept. 10 at the Nissan Pavilion south of Washington.

Both lawmakers voted for a national ban on gay marriage, which Congress rejected last year. The singer plans to marry his male partner this fall. Earlier this year, Sir Elton declared President Bush "the worst thing that has ever happened to America."

This didn't keep the singer from chatting amiably with the president at a Kennedy Center Honors ceremony at which Sir Elton received a special award for his contributions to American culture.

A spokesman for Shimkus, Steve Tomaszewski, said his boss's fund-raiser at the Elton John concert was neither an endorsement of the singer's politics nor a betrayal of Shimkus' stand on gay marriage. Shimkus won't attend himself, however, because of a scheduling conflict, Tomaszewski said.

Another House conservative, Rep. Richard Pombo, R-Calif., plans to carry on with a planned Stones fund-raiser Oct 3.

"I don't think that one song would dissuade potential donors from coming," said Brian Kennedy, Pombo's spokesman. "People enjoy Barbra Streisand's music whether they enjoy her politics or not."

Footnote to history: The Stones didn't sing "Sweet Neo Con" at their Boston concert last Saturday, at which California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger held a fund-raiser, according to the Los Angeles Times.

———

(c) 2005, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Need to map

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service