Louisiana governor blasts FEMA over recovery of bodies | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

Louisiana governor blasts FEMA over recovery of bodies

Thomas Fitzgerald and Joyce Tsai - Knight Ridder Newspapers

September 13, 2005 03:00 AM

BATON ROUGE, La.—Blasting federal officials for a "lack of urgency and lack of respect," Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco said Tuesday that the state would seize control of the task of recovering the bodies of Hurricane Katrina victims.

"In death, as in life, our people deserve more respect than they have received," Blanco told reporters before convening a cabinet meeting.

She accused the Federal Emergency Management Agency of causing delays because the agency had failed to sign a contract with the firm hired to collect corpses and was not providing enough support for the firm's crews.

FEMA spokesman David Passey responded that body recovery has always been the state's job, and federal authorities were in charge of body identification. "I can't explain the disconnect," he said.

The latest round of finger-pointing came over a particularly sensitive issue, as floodwaters continued to recede in New Orleans, opening access to some of the areas hardest-hit by the storm.

As recently as Monday afternoon, in the Lower 9th Ward of New Orleans, a woman's corpse was hung up on a cyclone fence, her arms outstretched as if she had been caught running from something. Another body lay face down in the muck in a yard a couple of blocks away.

Blanco said she signed a state contract with Kenyon International Services, an expert body-recovery firm, after it threatened to pull out of the state because it did not have a formal contract with FEMA.

Kenyon crews have been on the ground since last week, when FEMA brought the firm in under a verbal agreement to assist in recovery efforts, Passey said. The agency, he added, offered the company a contract.

"Kenyon chose for their own reasons not to sign a contract," Passey said. He said the federal government's disaster-mortuary teams specialize in identifying bodies through fingerprinting, photography, personal effects, digital dental X-rays and DNA.

Kenyon officials did not return phone calls seeking comment.

Kenyon technicians come in after search-and-rescue teams and military personnel identify locations of bodies. Kenyon workers then transport the bodies to FEMA's mortuary teams in the town of St. Gabriel, where the agency has established a makeshift morgue.

Further complicating the body recovery, Passey said, is the desire of some parishes to recover bodies in their own jurisdictions.

"That's their prerogative," he said. "We're here to support the state and the local government."

New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin said that door-to-door searches for bodies should be complete by the end of the week.

———

(Knight Ridder correspondents Chris Adams, Susannah A. Nesmith and Erika Bolstad contributed to this report.)

———

(c) 2005, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Need to map

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service