Some see opportunity in loss of New Orleans schools | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

Some see opportunity in loss of New Orleans schools

Chris Gray - Knight Ridder Newspapers

September 14, 2005 03:00 AM

NEW ORLEANS—Two weeks after Hurricane Katrina struck the Gulf Coast, fallen tree branches, standing water and layers of muck still block vehicles from getting to Carter G. Woodson Middle School, a building near the Magnolia public housing complex that has long held the state title "academically unacceptable."

The damage to Woodson and many of the 126 public school buildings in Orleans Parish doesn't bother school board member Jimmy Fahrenholtz, who is happy that the system's 65,000-plus students have been forced to find new schools in Louisiana, Texas and elsewhere.

"A lot of them we never should have had open," Fahrenholtz said in an interview on a French Quarter corner. "I wanted to tear this system apart two years ago. God answered my prayers."

His words may seem callous, but they echo the thoughts of many in Louisiana who have spent years puzzling over how to fix the state's poorest-performing school system.

Orleans wasn't the only district displaced by Katrina. With all 15 of its schools underwater, St. Bernard Parish has cancelled its entire year of classes. Six of the nine schools in Plaquemines Parish were flooded, and the wind blew the roof off another. And countless private schools, including many in the eight-parish network run by the Archdiocese of New Orleans, must find homes for their students.

But it's the disintegration of the city's public schools that is causing the most discussion, both for its statewide impact and the school system's uncertain future. Like many urban school districts, the New Orleans public school system faces countless social problems. Families are poor. Violence is prevalent. Many parents are uneducated and underemployed.

The New Orleans schools have been plagued by scandals and leadership crises that have made a difficult situation even more unmanageable. Led by a squabbling school board that state officials openly deride as incompetent, the system was forced to hire a private management company this summer after it was discovered that the administration was more than $25 million in the red.

There have been four acting or appointed superintendents in the last four years, and a majority of the district's students fail state-mandated English and math tests.

Now the state's 67 other school systems, many already strapped for resources, have taken in more than 20,000 students with little notice or preparation.

The greatest number, more than 5,000, have gone to East Baton Rouge Parish, where educators have been hiring teachers and reopening previously closed schools to house the transplants, school board member Noah Hammett said. "No one has quite been through this level of academic and financial challenge before," he said.

At the River Center, the Baton Rouge convention facility that has been turned into the city's main Red Cross shelter, children carrying new backpacks with new ribbons in their braids boarded school buses for their first day of classes Tuesday.

Odetta Martin saw her six children off with mixed emotions. Despite the district's reputation, Martin liked the New Orleans elementary schools her children attended, although she called Walter A. Cohen High School, where her older children went, "out of control."

Her main concern is that the state will continue to impose the high-stakes "LEAP" test on displaced fourth and eighth graders, who will be held back a grade if they fail.

"It's unfair to say they have to take it," she said. "It's stressful to take when you are at home and you are in your own bed. These children don't even have that."

Besides the tests, which reward and penalize schools for their academic performance, administrators are also worried about state funding, which is funneled to schools based on an October student count. East Feliciana, a rural parish about 35 miles north of Baton Rouge, has 175 displaced children added to its 2,300 students, mostly relatives of families living in the area.

But Superintendent Glenn Brady expects the number to grow as FEMA looks northward for land for some of its estimated 200,000 temporary housing trailers. "By Christmas we could grow by 1,000 students," he said.

State Education Secretary Cecil Picard said that he will ask the Legislature and the U.S. Department of Education to temporarily waive the LEAP test and No Child Left Behind requirements. He also will ask the federal government for $2.4 billion to cover salaries and benefits for 25,000 displaced teachers and school employees.

Many families have no idea how long they will be in their new schools. Italia Bell, 7, has attended the Feliciana Academy in East Feliciana for only a week, yet her grandmother, Emma Bell, wonders how she'll pay tuition next month.

Bell, who evacuated to her mother's home in rural Clinton, chose the private school because it offers a Christian curriculum similar to that at Italia's school in New Orleans, St. John Lutheran School.

Some families may be back sooner than expected. St. Tammany and Jefferson parishes plan to open some schools Oct. 3. In New Orleans, the school system hopes to open 16 schools for 26,000 students by January, although administrators don't expect many children to return so soon, school board member Fahrenholtz said.

Despite the school system's negative history, Fahrenholtz sees the next few years as a time where the New Orleans public schools can start from scratch—with local, state and federal planning and private grants from organizations such as the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

"A lot of our bad employees won't come back. A lot of our bad citizens won't come back," Fahrenholtz said. "This can be a turning point ... we can change the whole face of this city if we do it correctly."

———

(Gray reports for The Philadelphia Inquirer.)

———

(c) 2005, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

PHOTOS (from KRT Photo Service, 202-383-6099): WEA-KATRINA-SCHOOLS

Need to map

Related stories from McClatchy DC

latest-news

1021574

May 24, 2007 02:40 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service