Israel launches strikes on Gaza Strip following Palestinian attacks | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

Israel launches strikes on Gaza Strip following Palestinian attacks

Dion Nissenbaum - Knight Ridder Newspapers

September 24, 2005 03:00 AM

JERUSALEM—Israel launched a series of airstrikes on the Gaza Strip on Saturday in response to renewed rocket attacks by Palestinian militants on nearby Israeli communities.

The moves by both sides cast doubt on attempts to get the Middle East road map for peace back on track. Israel's defense minister vowed to deliver a "crushing" blow to militants.

At least two Palestinians were killed in the attacks, the first that Israel has staged since officially ending its 38-year military rule of the Gaza Strip earlier this month, when it pulled its settlers and soldiers out of the densely populated coastal region.

Palestinian leaders condemned the airstrikes as a blow to peace efforts, while the Israeli government blamed Palestinian officials for not doing enough to prevent militants from launching rockets.

The escalation of violence came a week ahead of a planned summit between Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon and Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas. The summit is meant to renew momentum for the stalled U.S.-backed road map.

Jordan's King Abdullah plans to travel to Jerusalem ahead of the summit in a bid to defuse tensions, Israeli media reported.

Saturday's attacks also could threaten Sharon's efforts to fend off a political revolt from members of his own Likud Party who opposed Israel's pullout from the Gaza Strip.

Sharon is trying to persuade Likud Party members to reject a request from rival Benjamin Netanyahu to quickly hold internal elections and elevate the former prime minister as the new party leader. A vote Monday on whether to hold the leadership election amounts to a de facto Likud referendum on the prime minister.

Netanyahu will most likely use the Gaza attacks as evidence that Sharon's Gaza Strip gambit has failed to restrain Palestinian militants or make Israelis safer. Recent polls show Likud Party members evenly split over whether to defy Sharon and hold quick leadership elections.

Should Netanyahu prevail, Sharon aides have warned that the prime minister may bolt the party and launch a new political group, a move that could bring down Israel's coalition government and force new elections.

The latest cycle of violence began Friday when Israeli forces killed three Islamic jihad militants during a raid in the West Bank.

Hospital officials said at least 10 Palestinians were killed and 80 wounded Friday afternoon when a large explosion rocked a Hamas rally in a refugee camp near Gaza City. Hamas initially blamed the explosion on an Israeli airstrike, but the Israeli military categorically denied playing any role in the incident. Palestinian Authority officials said the blast was probably caused by explosives carried by militants at the rally.

Whatever the cause, Islamic militants responded to the West Bank killings and Friday's explosion by firing more than 40 homemade rockets into neighboring Israeli communities, slightly wounding six people in the nearby town of Sderot, including one who lost part of his leg.

Before Israel pulled out of the Gaza Strip, such attacks were routine and Israel would normally respond only if the rockets proved fatal.

At the time of Israel's pullout from Gaza, Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz warned Palestinians that he would have "zero tolerance" for future rocket attacks once Israelis were gone.

True to his word, Mofaz sealed off the Gaza Strip, rushed troops to the border and ordered a series of airstrikes Saturday. Planes zipped over the area throughout the day, jarring residents with sonic booms and firing missiles at selected targets.

The most deadly attack came in the afternoon when a missile hit a car in Gaza City, killing two members of Hamas' military wing, including a 17-year-old boy.

Israeli forces also dropped hundreds of anti-Hamas leaflets across the Gaza Strip that called on the Palestinian Authority to combat terrorism and vowed to "strongly respond against any of those who threaten the security of the citizens of the State of Israel."

Hamas issued a statement vowing to retaliate for the Israeli attacks "everywhere."

Sharon met with his security cabinet Saturday night to weigh further action.

While an immediate invasion appeared unlikely, much depends on whether leaders on both sides are able to contain the violence in the coming days.

———

(Knight Ridder Newspapers special correspondent Mahmoud Habboush contributed to this report from Gaza City.)

———

(c) 2005, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Need to map

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service