Receding water shows parts of New Orleans built to handle flooding | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

Receding water shows parts of New Orleans built to handle flooding

Chris Adams - Knight Ridder Newspapers

September 18, 2005 03:00 AM

NEW ORLEANS—Follow the thick, dirty waterline that circles New Orleans' neighborhoods like the ring in a just-drained bathtub and it's easy to see how widespread the damage is and how entire neighborhoods are likely to be bulldozed.

But the post-Katrina waterline etched on houses, schools and storefronts also reveals how parts of this city were built up to withstand flooding.

The waterline stopped about 2 inches below the rooms in Donna Musarra Mervis and David Mervis' green stucco home in Uptown. Like many in New Orleans, the Mervises' house is raised, with the living quarters 6 feet above ground.

"Structurally," David said, "I think the house will be fine."

So is much of their extensive art collection, which the couple piled into a truck for a sudden move to Arkansas. Nearby houses with living quarters built lower to the ground weren't so lucky. The dingy waterline striped right across the windows, and even ran along the top of garages in the hard-hit Lakeview section of town.

While Mayor Ray Nagin said 80 percent of the city was under water during the worst of the flooding, it's clear that many houses, and some entire streets, were spared by the floodwaters that inundated other homes in the same neighborhoods.

Nagin said last week that half of the city's 215,000 homes may have to be razed. Others have put the figure as high as 80 percent, but nobody will know until the entire city is pumped dry within the next week or two.

Across New Orleans, the waterline shows how some homeowners were swamped, while others were spared.

Many residents with ground-level basements survived the flooding, but lost the contents of their storage areas. In other parts of town, the levee break filled the streets with 2 or 3 feet of water, but stopped at the stoop level.

In the section of town called Gentilly, which generally had widespread and deep flooding due to the breaches in the London Avenue Canal, many homes came out all right. On Lafaye Street, just off Gentilly Boulevard, many of the homes have gently sloping front lawns. The waterline there cuts the lawn in two—the bottom half is dirty brown, the top half a healthy green. Several homes are fine.

In the area along Lake Pontchartrain, the vibrant middle-class neighborhood called Lakeview suffered massive flooding. It was right next to the 17th Street Canal levee break, and water reached the rooftops of many homes.

But not far away, the high-end homes next to the University of New Orleans' lakefront campus were dry, helped by the higher elevation right next to the lake. About two-thirds of the campus remained above water, university officials said.

Most of the historic Uptown area and Garden District never flooded, although many stately old oaks were toppled by wind. The famed French Quarter saw no flooding and minimal damage, save some collapsed brick walls.

The Mid-City area had widespread flooding, although many raised homes may have been spared.

It was in Gentilly, Lakeview, Eastern New Orleans, and the Lower Ninth Ward where the city's flooding was the worst—and where many homeowners will have to start over.

"The materials in the walls will probably now just be mush," said Michael Carliner, an economist with the National Association of Home Builders.

Outside the city, the suburban parish to the east, St. Bernard, was devastated by flooding. New Orleans and St. Bernard combined represent just under half the metro-area population 1.3 million people.

The Mervises had braced for the worst when they arrived Friday to salvage artwork and other belongings at their home. They had checked satellite photos and heard reports that water was 6 or 7 feet deep on their block, near the intersection of South Claiborne and Jefferson avenues.

When they arrived, they found a sign that had floated onto their lawn: "Drop Water + Methodone," an apparent plea to helicopter rescuers. The couple added a second sign to keep the tone light: "Landscaping by Katrina."

The flooding left their elaborate backyard garden—with lemon and banana trees and eggplant—a sickly brown. The ground-level basement storage area is "just gross," Donna said, with woodworking equipment and old boxes soaked through.

"But everything upstairs was fine," Donna said. "When I drove into the city, I was just heartbroken. But we feel very fortunate."

———

(c) 2005, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

PHOTOS (from KRT Photo Service, 202-383-6099): WEA-KATRINA-WATERLINE

Need to map

Related stories from McClatchy DC

latest-news

1021791

May 24, 2007 02:42 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service