Intelligence gathered in Iraq prompts warning of terrorist plot | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

Intelligence gathered in Iraq prompts warning of terrorist plot

Jonathan S. Landay and Shannon McCaffrey - Knight Ridder Newspapers

October 06, 2005 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—A recent U.S. military raid on a terrorist group's hideout south of Baghdad, Iraq, netted intelligence that prompted New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg to warn Thursday that the metropolis' sprawling subway system faced an explicit threat of terrorist attacks.

U.S intelligence and law enforcement officials in Washington, however, cautioned that the information that triggered Bloomberg's warning was shaky.

"The intelligence community believes that, although the information is specific, it is of doubtful credibility," said Russ Knocke, the spokesman for the Department of Homeland Security.

Knocke said U.S. experts were continuing to evaluate the information but had passed it on to New York and New Jersey officials early on out of an "abundance of caution."

New York City authorities appeared to be taking no chances and were deploying additional police and canine units around the subway system, which carries an estimated 4.5 million people every weekday and is the largest in the country.

Speaking at a hastily called news conference Thursday in New York, Bloomberg said the FBI had informed him about "a specific threat" against the system.

"We have never had before a specific threat to our subway system," he said. "This is the first time we have had a threat with this level of specificity."

U.S. intelligence officials said U.S. forces earlier in the week had raided a base belonging to Ansar al Islam, a small group linked to al-Qaida comprised of Islamic extremists from Iraq's Kurdish minority, in the city of Musayaf, south of Baghdad.

The raid recovered information that 19 suicide bombers using suitcases and baby carriages planned to hit the New York subway system, they said.

The information was passed to the FBI, which turned it over to New York officials.

Bloomberg said he'd waited several days to make the information public in order to give law enforcement officers time to derail any attacks.

New York City Police Chief Ray Kelly, appearing with Bloomberg, said the intelligence indicated that an attack could happen "in the coming days" and that police would be watching for and searching people with baby strollers, briefcases and backpacks.

The intelligence "was more specific to the target, it was more specific as to timing and some of the sources had more information that would lead one to believe that it was not the kind of thing that appears in the intelligence community every day," said Bloomberg.

But a federal law enforcement official and two U.S. intelligence officials warned that there'd been no confirmation of the intelligence.

It was unclear whether there was a specific plot or that the raid in Iraq had netted "a wish list" of targets, said the federal law enforcement official, who asked not to be identified by name because the information is classified.

The U.S. intelligence officials, who also declined to discuss the matter for attribution, said intelligence analysts were skeptical of the intelligence because the threats against the New York subway system had appeared for several days on a Muslim extremist Web site that's regularly monitored.

Al-Qaida and its allies normally don't broadcast their plans on the Internet, they said.

Moreover, they said, there's no evidence that Ansar al Islam—which translates into English as Partisans of Islam—have the means or expertise to carry out a major operation in New York City.

One of the U.S. intelligence officials said there was a concern that the Web site threat was intended to distract U.S. attention from al-Qaida's real plans, which he said were increasingly focused on driving American forces out of Iraq and igniting a civil war between Shiite and Sunni Muslims.

The U.S. intelligence officials said intelligence collected from a Baghdad apartment where a lieutenant to Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, al-Qaida's top man in Iraq, was killed in a shootout last week indicated that al-Qaida is focusing much of its attention and resources on creating a militant Islamic state in Iraq.

Similar indications were found in a recently recovered a 13-page, 6,300-word letter to al-Zarqawi from Osama bin Laden's top aide, Ayman al-Zawahiri, they said.

New York City has been on high alert for a terrorist strike since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

Police have been randomly searching the backpacks and luggage of New York City subway riders since suicide bombers hit the London underground in July.

———

(c) 2005, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

PHOTOS (from KRT Photo Service, 202-383-6099): NYSUBWAY

Need to map

Related stories from McClatchy DC

latest-news

1022486

May 24, 2007 02:49 PM

Read Next

Congress

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

By Emma Dumain

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

Sen. Lindsey Graham is used to be in the middle of the action on major legislative debates, but he’s largely on the sidelines as he tries to broker a compromise to end the government shutdown.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Congress

Kansas Republican Pat Roberts announces retirement, sets up open seat race for Senate

January 04, 2019 11:09 AM

Congress

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM

Congress

Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

January 03, 2019 04:31 PM

Congress

Sharice Davids shows ‘respect’ for Pelosi’s authority on Congress’ first day

January 03, 2019 03:22 PM

Congress

As Cornyn exits Senate leadership, Texas is shut out of its own border talks

January 03, 2019 05:21 PM

Congress

Joe Cunningham votes no on Pelosi as speaker, backs House campaign head instead

January 03, 2019 12:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service