Hurricane Stan leaves 300,000 needing help in Mexico | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

Hurricane Stan leaves 300,000 needing help in Mexico

Susana Hayward - Knight Ridder Newspapers

October 07, 2005 03:00 AM

MEXICO CITY—Rescuers with emergency supplies of food and water can't reach more than 300,000 people in mountainous regions of Mexico's Chiapas state cut off by flooding and mudslides in the aftermath of Hurricane Stan, officials said Friday.

States of emergency have been declared in at least six Mexican states because of the storm, which previously had devastated huge regions of Central America.

Flooding caused by the storm has damaged or destroyed most of the bridges linking Chiapas state with Guatemala to the south.

"There're at least 300,000 people in the region who are not receiving any kind of help," said Chiapas Gov. Pablo Salazar Mendiguchia. He said floods and mudslides had affected at least 1 million residents of his state.

President Vicente Fox flew to Chiapas on Friday, and hundreds of soldiers were pressed into service to rescue people and open shelters in the state.

The U.S. Embassy was sending $100,000 worth of food, and Salazar said 50 tons of food and other aid have been donated by private businesses.

"It's devastating. Much of the city is gone. There's hardly any food left. People are desperate," said Maripaz Herrera, the manager of the Hotel Kamico in Tapachula, a city of 400,000 on the border with Guatemala.

"We're running out of everything. This is the worst disaster we've had," she said in a telephone interview.

Tens of thousands in seven southern Mexican states Friday were forced to flee their homes as heavy rains and flooding swept the region. Television reports showed dozens of cars and homes buried under mounds of mud.

The state oil company Pemex said it had evacuated 270 workers from its offshore Gulf Coast and Yucatan Peninsula platforms before the storm hit land.

Fox declared states of emergency for Chiapas, Veracruz, Oaxaca, Puebla, Hidalgo, Guerrero, Jalisco and Tabasco. The official death toll from the storm stood at 225 in Mexico and Central America.

But officials acknowledge it is expected to rise much higher when rains cease. Weather officials say that likely won't happen until Tuesday.

Adding danger and fear was a strong earthquake that shook both Guatemala and El Salvador on Friday afternoon. It caused already damaged highways and bridges to collapse in Guatemala and sent thousands of residents in both Central American nations fleeing into the streets.

There were no immediate reports of injuries from the quake, which had a preliminary magnitude of 5.8. Telephone service also was cut off briefly in some areas of El Salvador.

The quake follows the eruption of the Lametepec volcano, which erupted Saturday 40 miles south of El Salvador's capital of San Salvador.

"The impact of this hurricane is overwhelming," Fox said. "It's affecting practically all of southern Mexico, and hundreds of thousands of families are in dire misery."

Stan is the most recent storm of the 2005 Atlantic hurricane season, one of the deadliest in years. The season ends Nov. 30.

———

(Special correspondent Janet Schwartz contributed to this report.)

———

(c) 2005, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Need to map

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service