Louisiana parish gets temporary hospital | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

Louisiana parish gets temporary hospital

Brian Brueggemann - Knight Ridder Newspapers

November 03, 2005 03:00 AM

CHALMETTE, La.—Welcome to Wal-Mart. The doctor will see you now.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency and St. Bernard Parish officials are setting up what parish officials describe as a temporary hospital in the parking lot of a Wal-Mart Super Center in Chalmette.

Parish and medical leaders see the hospital as a key to bringing people back and providing for those who are trying to recover in the heavily damaged area.

Twenty-six modular buildings form a facility half the size of a football field. With the addition of interior walls, medical equipment and utilities it will be operational as a 70-bed hospital by the end of November, said Doug Garman, an Army Corps of Engineers spokesman at the joint field office in Baton Rouge.

"You're looking at a series of modular trailers that have been assembled together," said Steve Rick of the Army Corps of Engineers, which is in charge of providing the structure. "It's a building that would have had soldiers living in it with bunk beds and showers."

Hurricane Katrina devastated Chalmette Medical Center, a hospital with nearly 200 beds, and parish officials doubt it will reopen. Some hospitals in the New Orleans region remain closed as well.

"To get to a doctor would be about a 25-minute ride right now," St. Bernard Parish spokesman Steve Cannizaro said.

He said water and electricity gradually were being restored in the parish, which lies southeast of New Orleans and had a population of 65,500 before Katrina, according to Census Bureau estimates. In the weeks since Katrina, a disaster-management team has been providing some medical services at Chalmette High School's football stadium.

Officials including FEMA and Army Corps say the temporary hospital, which is adjacent to St. Bernard Parish offices, will remain open for 18 months to two years. They hope for a permanent hospital by then.

The cost so far is $2 million for the 22,000-square-foot medical center, and it still needs equipment and supplies, Garman said. Officials at the site said they knew of no other project like it to provide medical services post-Katrina.

Christian Gadbois, a medical coordinator for a disaster recovery unit that's serving St. Bernard Parish, said the facility would have limited trauma services, a pharmacy, a laboratory, treatment rooms, observation rooms and critical-care beds. Its services will include X-rays, ultrasounds and electrocardiograms.

Gadbois said medical services were essential during the recovery and rebuilding of the area.

"You have an increased risk of traumatic injury," he said. "You have an increased risk of respiratory emergencies."

The government is working with three doctors who practiced at Chalmette Medical Center: Dr. Paul Verrette, an internal medicine specialist; Dr. Lee Domangue, Chalmette's emergency services chief; and Dr. Bryan Bertucci, who also serves as the parish coroner.

"The rebuilding of this parish will not be stunted by a lack of a quality medical facility," Verrette said.

Gadbois said funding for running the temporary hospital hadn't been finalized, but that various options were available. Rick said hurdles for the corps included installing lead walls for the rooms where X-rays will be taken.

The Wal-Mart is closed because of hurricane damage and no decision has been made about reopening it, Wal-Mart spokesman Dan Fogleman said. The company isn't charging the hospital any rent through March, and it will allow the lot to be ripped up for utilities to be installed, he said. The hospital will pay for the utilities, Fogleman said.

"Wal-Mart is part of the fabric of the community," he said. "This is one way we can help out."

———

(c) 2005, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

PHOTOS (from KRT Photo Service, 202-383-6099): STORMS-HOSPITAL

Need to map

Related stories from McClatchy DC

latest-news

1023515

May 24, 2007 03:00 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service