Effort to resolve split in Darfur rebel group makes little progress | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

Effort to resolve split in Darfur rebel group makes little progress

Shashank Bengali - Knight Ridder Newspapers

November 08, 2005 03:00 AM

NAIROBI, Kenya—A U.S.-led effort to resolve a split among rebels in Sudan's devastated Darfur region got off to a bad start Tuesday when the dueling factions walked out of the negotiating room.

Negotiators coaxed both sides back to the table after a half-hour, but there was little other progress at a meeting that U.S. and international envoys hoped would kick-start foundering efforts to end a conflict that's claimed at least 180,000 lives.

A widening split in the Sudan Liberation Movement, Darfur's leading rebel group, is undercutting peace negotiations with Sudan's government, while violence escalates in the western part of the country. Hundreds more people were killed last month, including two African Union peacekeepers, and attacks on aid workers have increased.

The Bush administration, under pressure from lawmakers of both parties to find a solution, this week dispatched the No. 2 State Department official, Robert B. Zoellick, to Sudan for the fourth time since April.

On Tuesday, Zoellick met with the rebel factions at a luxury hotel in Nairobi, Kenya, to urge them to adopt a unified negotiating position before peace talks with the government resume Nov. 21.

Once hailed for rising up against a repressive Sudanese regime, the rebels are now battling each other in armed skirmishes in Darfur as their leaders jockey for position in the peace process.

The conflict in Darfur began in February 2003, when rebels began an uprising against an Arab-dominated government it felt was marginalizing them. The government enlisted horse-backed militiamen—known as janjaweed—to put down the uprising. The janjaweed launched attacks on villages and slaughtered vast numbers of civilians in a campaign the United States has labeled genocide.

The African Union-sponsored peace talks have stalled, and experts say the Sudanese government will exploit the rebels' rift at the negotiating table.

"The rebels are increasingly problematic and increasingly an obstacle to a negotiated solution," said Dave Mozersky of the International Crisis Group think tank.

Two men claim leadership of the group. Minni Arcua Minnawi was elected president by SLM members last week, but the incumbent president, Abdol Wahid Mohamed al-Nur, says the election was invalid because he didn't participate.

Complicating matters, Minnawi didn't attend Tuesday's meeting, sending a deputy instead.

The day began with Minnawi's people walking out of the plush conference room where talks were being held, followed immediately by al-Nur and his team.

Zoellick persuaded both sides to return after 30 minutes.

"My concluding point with the SLM was that we want to help them, but to help them they need to help us be able to deal with a unified movement," Zoellick said afterward.

Other participants had harsher words for the rebels, saying they couldn't count on international support if they continued to hold up peace negotiations.

"We cannot tell them who their leaders and representatives should be," said Baba Gana Kingibe, the African Union's special representative to Sudan. "But we can tell them they better get their act together."

Zoellick was expected to travel to the Sudanese capital, Khartoum, on Wednesday to discuss implementation of a peace agreement that ended a separate conflict between the northern government and southern rebels in January.

U.S. and international officials hope that agreement, which provides for a unified government and power sharing among various factions, will pave the way for a similar agreement for Darfur.

Some 7,000 African Union troops are now monitoring an April 2004 cease-fire agreement that has been violated countless times. In recent months, aid workers have reported that the Sudanese government is continuing to arm militias in Darfur and has restricted access for African Union personnel.

Zoellick's trip comes as Republican and Democratic lawmakers have called on the Bush administration to pressure the Sudanese government to fulfill its commitments under the cease-fire.

In a letter to Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice on Oct. 28, more than 100 members of Congress accused the Bush administration of "engaging in a policy of appeasement" with Khartoum.

Last week, after the Senate Appropriations Committee cut funding for the African Union mission in Darfur by $50 million, four senators—Democrats Richard Durbin of Illinois and Jon Corzine of New Jersey and Republicans Sam Brownback of Kansas and Mike DeWine of Ohio—urged Bush to make up the shortfall in a supplemental appropriations bill. The money could provide for about 700 more troops.

———

(c) 2005, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Need to map

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service