Pentagon announces troop rotation plan for mid-2006 | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

Pentagon announces troop rotation plan for mid-2006

Drew Brown - Knight Ridder Newspapers

November 07, 2005 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—The Pentagon announced a plan Monday that will send 92,000 fresh troops to Iraq beginning in mid-2006, but officials warned that overall troop strength would depend on how Iraq's security situation evolves.

The troop rotation plan includes soldiers from eight active-duty Army brigades, an active support command and one National Guard brigade. The rotations are for one year.

The plan also reduces the number of National Guardsmen in Iraq. Earlier this year, National Guardsmen constituted about 40 percent of U.S. ground forces, and some critics have complained that the military was relying too much on part-time troops who they argue should be used at home for disaster relief and homeland defense.

Troop strength in Iraq has remained at about 138,000 for much of the last year, but it was increased before the October constitutional referendum to about 160,000 in anticipation of more insurgent attacks. U.S. troops in Iraq currently number around 150,000, and they're expected to remain at that level through the December elections for a new government before dropping back to 138,000, according to military officials.

Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld said long-term troop levels would depend on conditions in Iraq, particularly on how soon Iraqi security forces can take over.

"We continue to transition and transfer additional responsibilities to the Iraqi security forces," Rumsfeld said. "As these and other conditions are met, Gen. (George) Casey will continue to assess the capabilities that he believes he will need and make recommendations as to the levels he believes will be needed in the coming months."

Casey is the top U.S. general in Iraq and the commander of all U.S. and multinational forces.

Included in Monday's announcement were:

_Division Headquarters, 25th Infantry Division, Schofield Barracks, Hawaii.

_3rd Brigade, 25th Infantry Division, Schofield Barracks, Hawaii.

_13th Corps Support Command, Fort Hood, Texas.

_1st Brigade, 34th Infantry Division, Minnesota Army National Guard.

_2nd Brigade, 1st Infantry Division, Schweinfurt, Germany.

_3rd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division, Fort Lewis, Wash.

_3rd Brigade, 82nd Airborne Division, Fort Bragg, N.C.

_2nd Brigade, 10th Mountain Division, Fort Drum, N.Y.

In addition, the Pentagon said that deployment of the 1st Brigade, 1st Division, based at Fort Riley, Kan., wouldn't take place before Dec. 31. That unit originally was supposed to deploy at the beginning of December.

About 53,000 of the Army troops in the 2006 rotation are active duty and more than 25,000 are National Guardsmen, said Maj. Todd Vician, a Pentagon spokesman. Not included in Monday's announcement were more than 5,000 Marines, 3,700 sailors and more than 3,300 airmen who also are scheduled to deploy to Iraq next year.

Additional announcements by each service for the deployment of smaller units are expected in the future, said Lt. Col. Barry Venable, a Pentagon spokesman.

Venable said that the base line for U.S. troop strength in Iraq would remain at 138,000 for next year, but that number could go fluctuate, depending on the security situation.

———

(c) 2005, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Iraq

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service