Senate votes to strip Guantanamo detainees of their right to sue | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

Senate votes to strip Guantanamo detainees of their right to sue

Frank Davies - Knight Ridder Newspapers

November 10, 2005 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—The Senate voted Thursday to bar suspected terrorists being held at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, from challenging their captivity in federal courts, a move that seeks to reverse a landmark Supreme Court decision and heightens the debate about what to do with prisoners captured in the war on terror.

By a 49-42 vote that broke largely along party lines, the Senate adopted an amendment proposed by Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., on the defense authorization bill that would strip prisoners at Guantanamo of their right to file habeas corpus petitions in federal courts. Five Democrats voted with the majority, while four Republicans opposed the amendment. Seven Republicans and two Democrats didn't vote.

"We're going back to a model that's worked for over 200 years—that prisoners in a war should not be able to go into court and sue the people that are fighting the war," said Graham, a former military judge.

But the amendment might still draw opposition from the Bush administration because it would require Senate confirmation of the top civilian who's charged with reviewing the Guantanamo detainees' cases and would bar the use of any detainee statement obtained by torture.

The administration had no comment Thursday, but it has opposed efforts by Congress and the courts to oversee the detentions and interrogations of suspected terrorists.

"Congress has been AWOL on this issue, but now we're going to sort out the legal mess we're in," Graham said.

Civil rights groups and others denounced the vote.

"For the Senate to make a big change like this, so hastily without a hearing, is just appalling," said Rear Adm. John Hutson, a retired Navy judge advocate general.

Anthony Romero, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union, called the vote "disgraceful."

"The American military indefinitely detains individuals—and tortures some of them—and the Senate votes to strip them of their rights," Romero said. "It's unbelievable."

Almost 300 of the 500-plus prisoners held in Guantanamo have filed habeas corpus petitions, arguing that they're being held improperly as enemy combatants. Most have been held without charges for more than three years. The Supreme Court ruled in June 2004 that detainees were entitled to file such claims.

Sen. Jeff Bingaman, D-N.M., called the amendment "a very major mistake" and suggested that he'll try to change it when the Senate returns on Monday.

The House of Representatives version of the defense authorization bill has no provision about Guantanamo, so a conference committee may have to resolve the issue.

Thursday's action comes amid growing debate over how to handle prisoners captured in the war on terror.

Last month, the Senate voted 90-9 to approve an amendment to a different bill that would prohibit "cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment" against anyone held in U.S. custody. That amendment was proposed by Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz. Graham praised it Thursday as a step to "take care of prisoner abuse."

"But we also need to deal with lawsuit abuse," he said. "We need the whole package."

The Bush administration opposes the McCain amendment.

Passage of Graham's amendment surprised some senators after the chairman of the Judiciary Committee, Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., said he couldn't support it.

"This proposal requires a lot more analysis—it's not the answer," Specter said.

He conceded that Congress has been largely absent in overseeing the detentions and interrogations of prisoners captured since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

"The Supreme Court took the bull by the horns because Congress had not acted, perhaps because it's too hot to handle," Specter said.

But Graham said he pushed his amendment this week after the Supreme Court decided Monday to review a challenge to the administration's military trials for a handful of prisoners. Meanwhile, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia is considering a major habeas corpus case that could determine how Guantanamo cases are handled.

Graham and Sen. Jon Kyl, R-Ariz., claimed cases filed by Guantanamo captives were clogging courts. While most challenge the legality and facts of detainees' detentions, some complaints also seek better medical treatment or access to lawyers and family members. Graham belittled some of the petitions for seeking "dictionaries and high-speed Internet access."

Gita Gutierrez, a lawyer for six detainees, said that Graham exaggerated the impact of the petitions and that the court system was organized to handle them. She said some of the petitions about medical treatment came from detainees who were handled roughly during a hunger strike.

The Democrats voting for the amendment were Kent Conrad of North Dakota, Mary Landrieu of Louisiana, Joseph Lieberman of Connecticut, Ben Nelson of Nebraska and Ron Wyden of Oregon. The Republicans who were opposed were Specter, Lincoln Chafee of Rhode Island, Gordon Smith of Oregon and John Sununu of New Hampshire.

———

(Carol Rosenberg of The Miami Herald contributed to this report from Miami. Davies also reports for The Miami Herald.)

———

(c) 2005, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

ARCHIVE PHOTOS on KRT Direct (from KRT Photo Service, 202-383-6099): Lindsey Graham

Need to map

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service