Building collapse in Kenya kills at least 7; poor construction blamed | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

Building collapse in Kenya kills at least 7; poor construction blamed

Shashank Bengali and Munene Kilongi - Knight Ridder Newspapers

January 23, 2006 03:00 AM

NAIROBI, Kenya—A five-story building under construction collapsed in Nairobi's central business district just after the lunch hour Monday, trapping 200 people—mostly construction workers—under masses of twisted iron and concrete.

News reports in this East African capital said that at least seven people were killed, but authorities expected the body count to rise as rescue crews dug overnight through the rubble for victims. Nairobi's Kenyatta National Hospital admitted 73 people with serious injuries.

Officials blamed sloppy construction and promised to investigate. In Nairobi, commercial buildings and apartment blocks sometimes seem to spring up overnight, and witnesses said the structure that collapsed had been built in less than three months.

An injured construction worker who gave his name as Jaluo said the building had gone up too fast.

"We were constructing floor after floor even when the cement of the one beneath us had not dried to the required standard," Jaluo said from his hospital bed. "That's why the building caved in."

Several hundred onlookers rushed to the scene, including dozens who dove into the wreckage and began removing debris with their bare hands. Crowds collected atop neighboring buildings and cheered every time a person was pulled out.

By nightfall, police had dispersed the crowd as a few dozen emergency workers continued to break through the rubble with pickaxes and metal-cutters. Authorities said the rescue effort could take days.

"People can hear noise, knocking and coughing" coming from the rubble, Vice President Moody Awori said at a news conference. "It is going to be a long night."

About 2 p.m. Monday, as construction workers were finishing their lunches or napping before the afternoon shift, witnesses heard a loud crack as a concrete pillar near the center of the building gave way. Dozens of people, including several women who were selling food, were thought to have been on the bottom two floors and crushed by the collapse.

A carpenter on the building, Simon Gitau, escaped with a few scrapes and minor injuries on his head.

"I was just sleeping after the midday meal, waiting for the afternoon shift, when I found myself under stones in darkness," said Gitau, 27, lying in a hospital bed. He was covered in dirt and had a bloody gash on his forehead.

Two huge slabs of stone pinned his body to the ground until emergency crews reached him, he said.

"I heard a scraping sound, then saw a sliver of light as rescue workers finally reached where I was," he said.

———

(Kilongi is a Knight Ridder Newspapers special correspondent.)

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service