Testimony in Saddam trial delayed | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

Testimony in Saddam trial delayed

Dogen Hannah - Knight Ridder Newspapers

January 24, 2006 03:00 AM

BAGHDAD, Iraq—Saddam Hussein's problematic murder trial hit another hole in the road Tuesday when the court, citing missing witnesses, postponed resuming the historic proceeding until Sunday.

Court officials said the missing witnesses were still on their religious pilgrimage to Mecca in Saudi Arabia or had just returned and couldn't reach Baghdad in time. They denied reports that the delay was the result of a dispute among judges over who should preside at the trial.

"Since some of the complainants and witnesses are currently outside Iraq for pilgrimage, the court has decided to delay the hearing until Sunday," court spokesman Raed Juhi said Tuesday about four hours after the trial was to have resumed.

The delay raised more questions about the competency and credibility of the Iraqi High Tribunal to try the deposed dictator and his seven co-defendants. Several delays and controversies have beset the trial since its opening session Oct. 19.

Since then, the trial has convened for only six sessions. Tuesday would have been the seventh, and the first presided over by Raouf Rasheed Abdel-Rahman, who was tapped at the last minute to replace Judge Rizgar Mohammed Amin, who quit amid criticism that he'd failed to stop Saddam and other defendants from controlling the proceedings.

Reports circulating here laid Tuesday's delay to judges fighting Abdel-Rahman's appointment, but Juhi, in an interview with Knight Ridder late Tuesday, said there was no dispute over the appointment. "On the contrary, Judge Raouf is running the court, and he is the one who decided to delay the session."

Chief prosecutor Jaafar al-Musawi also said the delay resulted from missing witnesses.

Defense attorneys said the delay underscored the tribunal's inability to provide Saddam with a fair trial.

Tuesday isn't the first time the proceeding has sparked controversy. Two defense attorneys have been killed, and Abdel-Rahman got the presiding judge post only after the court passed over Amin's deputy, Judge Sayeed al-Hammash, when he was accused of being a former member of Saddam's Baath party, which he denied.

Saddam, a Sunni Muslim, and his co-defendants are accused of killing almost 150 people after the 1982 attempted assassination of the former dictator in Dujail, a predominantly Shiite Muslim city. If convicted, the defendants could be sentenced to death.

———

(Hannah reports for the Contra Costa Times. Knight Ridder Newspapers special correspondent Zaineb Obeid contributed to this report.)

———

(c) 2006, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

ARCHIVE PHOTOS on KRT Direct (from KRT Photo Service, 202-383-6099): Saddam Hussein

Iraq

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service