Mining regulators to increase fines for safety violations | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

Mining regulators to increase fines for safety violations

Alison Young - Knight Ridder Newspapers

February 16, 2006 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—Federal mining regulators, in the wake of criticism that the penalties they impose on the industry are too low, announced plans Thursday to levy higher fines as a way to curb safety violations.

The "current penalty structure is 25 years old and needs updating to strengthen incentives for compliance," said David Dye, acting administrator of the Mine Safety and Health Administration, in a statement. "Mine safety violations put workers at risk, so the penalties for those violations need to be serious and straightforward."

Federal mine safety officials have been under fire in the wake of the deadly Sago Mine accident in West Virginia. So far this year 22 people have died in U.S. mines, the agency Web site noted Thursday.

A Knight Ridder analysis published in January found that the number of major fines over $10,000 has dropped by nearly 10 percent since 2001 and the dollar amount of penalties, when adjusted for inflation, has plummeted 43 percent to a median of $27,584.

"While we've seen fatalities and injury rates dramatically decrease in recent years, the number of violations have remained high. And the West Virginia fatal accidents have caused MSHA to look at the whole range of things that could better protect miners," Dye said.

"MSHA is reviewing its penalty structure, which has not been adjusted in decades, and believes penalties need to be revised upward to maximize their enforcement effect," he said.

Under current regulations for most fines, each mine safety violation is assigned points. The penalty structure, however, doesn't increase fines proportionately as the number of points increase.

For example, 100 penalty points results in the current maximum $60,000 fine. But a mine with 50 penalty points is eligible for a fine of just $878. Only at 80 penalty points do fines go over $10,000.

MSHA officials said they'll begin the rulemaking process to revise the penalty structure, including increasing penalties. No details were available Thursday evening on when that would be completed.

Officials with the United Mine Workers of America couldn't be reached for comment Thursday evening.

Congress sets the maximum fine, and there are separate proposals pending in Congress to raise it from $60,000 to $220,000.

Raising the maximum fine isn't enough, said Rep. George Miller, D-Calif. He said regulators need to levy substantial fines already available to them.

"The Bush administration has always had the authority—without coming to Congress for permission—to stiffen the penalties for mine safety violations. I am encouraged to see that the administration is finally recognizing that fact," said Miller, the ranking Democrat on the House Education and the Workforce Committee. "Now, however, the devil is in the details."

———

(c) 2006, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Need to map

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service