5 suspected militants believed linked to Saudi plant attack killed | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

5 suspected militants believed linked to Saudi plant attack killed

Hannah Allam - Knight Ridder Newspapers

February 27, 2006 03:00 AM

CAIRO, Egypt—Saudi security forces shot five suspected militants to death Monday during an early-morning raid in connection with last week's foiled attack on the world's largest oil-processing plant. A sixth suspect was arrested in a separate raid.

Lt. Gen. Mansour al-Turki, a spokesman for the Interior Ministry, said Saudi forces conducted the raids Monday after surveillance on two suburban homes in Riyadh, the capital.

At one site, a man was detained without incident. At the second home, security forces and the five terrorism suspects exchanged fire for about two hours, according to the Saudi-owned satellite channel Al-Arabiya. Al-Arabiya also reported that police later confiscated weapons from the home.

Al-Turki said the identities of the five men weren't immediately known. "The five were killed because they refused to surrender," he said in a phone interview. "They are believed to be terrorists, but as for how much they are linked to al-Qaida, we'll have to wait and see the results of the investigation."

The shootout was just the latest incident in a three-year battle between Saudi forces and al-Qaida-linked rebels who want to overthrow the royal family. Despite the kingdom's crackdown on militants, Islamist extremists have become increasingly brazen, as illustrated by Friday's attack on the highly fortified Abqaiq oil-processing plant, the first on a Saudi oil facility.

The attack was thwarted when Saudi forces prevented two suicide bombers from entering the complex. The guards' gunfire made the cars explode outside the compound, which is near the Persian Gulf Coast.

The Saudi branch of al-Qaida later claimed responsibility for the operation and warned of more to come.

The Interior Ministry identified the dead Abqaiq attackers as Abdullah Abdulaziz al-Tweijri and Mohammed Saleh al-Ghaith. Both were on a list of the 15 most-wanted terrorists in the kingdom that was issued last June. Now, just four suspects remain at large; 10 have died or been killed, and one was arrested.

It was unclear what the would-be bombers intended to target in the huge Abqaiq compound, which processes two-thirds of Saudi Arabia's oil. Analysts have speculated that Saudi militants may be trying to mimic the success of insurgents in Iraq, whose frequent sabotage of pipelines has severely hobbled Iraq's oil production and export.

"We expect attacks anywhere in the kingdom and we are continuing to enforce our security at every possible location that could be a target. That includes, of course, oil industry and oil infrastructure," al-Turki said. "We are doing everything that can be done to prevent another attack."

———

(c) 2006, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Need to map

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service