Threat of civil war in Iraq averted for now, U.S. commander says | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

Threat of civil war in Iraq averted for now, U.S. commander says

Drew Brown - Knight Ridder Newspapers

March 03, 2006 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—Religious and ethnic violence in Iraq is waning after last week's bombing of an important Shiite Muslim shrine, and the threat of civil war appears to have receded for now, the top American commander in Baghdad said Friday.

Even so, terrorists still are trying to derail the formation of a new unity government and to incite further violence, said Gen. George W. Casey, the commander of multinational forces in Iraq.

"It appears that the crisis has passed, but we should be clear that Iraqis remain under the threat of terrorist attack by those who will stop at nothing to undermine the formation of this constitutionally elected government of national unity and a government that represents all Iraqis," Casey said in a teleconference.

Baghdad was sealed off under a strict curfew Friday, the Muslim holy day, and police reported that Sunni Muslim gunmen had killed at least 19 people, mostly Shiites, at a brick factory near Baghdad. That attack Thursday night in Nahrawan, southeast of Baghdad, was one of the worst incidents of the violence that's swept central Iraq since terrorists blew up Samarra's Askariya mosque Feb. 22, setting off reprisal bombings and killings between majority Shiites and minority Sunnis.

Casey said that about 350 Iraqi civilians had been killed in the past 10 days. Though he maintained that violence across Iraq didn't increase substantially after the bombing, he said that another major attack, especially on a religious site, could ignite more violence and possibly a civil war.

But as long as the U.S.-led coalition forces stay in the country and Iraqis remain committed to forming a national unity government, "I think the chances of that are not good," he said.

However, 11 weeks after parliamentary elections, Iraqi politicians still are squabbling over the formation of a new government.

In the aftermath of the Samarra bombing, there was widespread concern that Iraq's security forces could splinter along ethnic and religious lines, but so far police and army units have remained intact. Casey said he wasn't "overly concerned" about those forces fragmenting as long as coalition troops remained in the country.

During fighting with Shiite militias in 2004, many Iraqi police and army units either collapsed or joined fighters who were battling U.S. troops. But this time was different, Casey said.

"The militias didn't take over anything, or if they did, it was quite fleeting," he said. "And when the Iraqi security forces by and large showed up, they, by and large, yielded control."

Casey said he'd seen no indication that the number of foreign fighters coming into Iraq had increased since the Samarra bombing. There were 17 suicide bombings in February, compared with 60 to 70 a month last spring and summer, an indication that the influx of foreigners joining up with Sunni insurgents had slowed. He credited stronger border defenses from Jordan to Turkey.

U.S. forces in Iraq number around 133,000, and top military officials have suggested that there could be significant reductions this year if Iraqi soldiers and police take over more of the fight against insurgents and provide overall security.

"We'll see how this plays out over the coming weeks and months," Casey said.

———

(c) 2006, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

ARCHIVE PHOTOS on KRT Direct (from KRT Photo Service, 202-383-6099): George Casey

Iraq

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service