Army orders criminal investigation into death of Pat Tillman | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

Army orders criminal investigation into death of Pat Tillman

Drew Brown - Knight Ridder Newspapers

March 04, 2006 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—The Pentagon has directed the Army to launch a criminal investigation into the circumstances surrounding former NFL star Pat Tillman's death in Afghanistan in 2004.

The Defense Department's office of the Inspector General ordered the Army's Criminal Investigative Division to see whether Tillman's death resulted from negligent homicide, a defense official said Saturday. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because the probe, which was first reported by CNN Saturday afternoon, is just beginning.

Tillman, 27, was serving in the Army's 2nd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment when he was shot and killed while on patrol in southern Afghanistan in April 2004.

The Army initially reported that Tillman was killed by Taliban fighters during a firefight, but an investigation later determined that fellow Rangers had shot and killed him, thinking he was an enemy fighter firing at them.

Tillman's family was unhappy with the initial investigation, and they demanded to know why they were not told immediately that fellow soldiers might have killed him. They also wanted to know why his uniform and body armor were burned the day after he was killed.

A Pentagon official, who asked not to be identified due to the sensitive nature of the matter, said that Brig. Gen. Gary Jones requested in August 2005 that the Pentagon's inspector general undertake an independent review of his initial investigation after Tillman's family complained that they weren't satisfied with its findings.

The scope of the investigation has yet to be determined, but one of the issues that will be examined is whether Tillman's death was negligent homicide, the official said.

A second Pentagon official, however, cautioned that the Army had only been asked to conduct an investigation into Tillman's death.

"The Army owes it to the family to answer their questions, as we would treat any family who has lost a loved one in this conflict," said Col. Joe Curtin, an Army spokesman.

The Army's Criminal Investigative Division was ordered to reopen the case on Friday, said Paul Boyce, another Army spokesman. Tillman's family was also notified on Friday, Boyce said.

The Army's initial investigation found that fellow soldiers knew at the time of the shooting that Tillman had died as a result of friendly fire. A U.S. military official told Knight Ridder that their superiors knew within hours that Tillman had been killed by friendly fire, and the report found that Tillman's superiors covered up the circumstances of his death and concealed the truth from Tillman's brother Kevin, also an Army Ranger who was serving in the same unit.

Several weeks after a memorial service in Tillman's hometown of San Jose, Calif., the Army announced that friendly fire had caused Tillman's death, not enemy fire as initially reported. Top Army officials knew at the time of the memorial service that he'd been killed by fellow troops, the Army's initial investigation found.

But the investigation found no evidence that Army officers intended to hide the truth.

Tillman gave up a $3.6 million contract with the Arizona Cardinals to become an Army Ranger after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. He was posthumously awarded a Silver Star.

———

(c) 2006, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

ARCHIVE PHOTOS on KRT Direct (from KRT Photo Service, 202-383-6099): Pat Tillman

Need to map

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service