Top general touts progress in Iraq, disputes assessments on civil war | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

Top general touts progress in Iraq, disputes assessments on civil war

James Kuhnhenn and Nancy A. Youssef - Knight Ridder Newspapers

March 05, 2006 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—The nation's top general said Sunday that Iraq isn't slipping into civil war and blamed the violence there on a "relatively small number of individuals" who he said are trying to restore "tyrannical rule."

Appearing on NBC's "Meet the Press," Marine Gen. Peter Pace, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said there's been progress in training Iraqi defense forces and disputed accounts, some from conservative commentators, that U.S. efforts in Iraq are failing.

"It is not a great smiley picture nor is it a disaster," Pace said. "What is it is a very tough environment that still has a lot of work to be done but one in which we're making very, very good progress."

Pace disputed a steady stream of CIA assessments, reported last week by Knight Ridder, that the Sunni insurgency has deep roots, is likely to worsen and could lead to civil war. His more optimistic appraisal is expected to set the tone for a meeting this week among President Bush and his top military commanders to assess the war and decide how many U.S. troops should remain in the country.

Pace, who also appeared on Fox News, denied reports in two British newspapers that the United States and Britain were preparing to withdraw troops from Iraq by the spring of 2007.

In Baghdad, efforts to form a new government remain stalled nearly three months after parliamentary elections on Dec. 15, pressure is mounting on Prime Minister Ibrahim al-Jaafari to abandon his campaign to remain in power, and sectarian fighting continued on Sunday.

Just after midnight in one western Baghdad neighborhood, residents heard an imam begging for help on their local mosque loudspeaker. He said that he and the mosque were under attack, witnesses said. Some Sunni residents ran toward the mosque carrying weapons while other fired from their yards.

The fighting, which killed three people and wounded seven, continued for a half-hour and was brought under control only when American helicopters arrived, nearby residents said. The attack was broadcast live on local television.

Republican Sen. Richard Lugar, R-Ind., the chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, was more cautious than Pace was.

"We're not certain yet whether it's civil war, but it could be," Lugar said on CBS' "Face the Nation." "The question really is whether Iraqis want to be Iraqis, as opposed to Sunnis and Shiites and Kurds. "That hasn't been decided. We're on the cusp of a decision."

Rep. John Murtha, D-Pa., who's abandoned his initial support for the war, said Pace mischaracterized conditions in Iraq.

"We've made no progress at all," he said on "Face the Nation." "There's two participants fighting for survival, fighting for supremacy inside that country and that's my definition of a civil war. I think we're not making progress; we're caught in a civil war."

———

(Kuhnhenn reported from Washington, Youssef from Baghdad, Iraq.)

———

(c) 2006, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Iraq

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service