Iraqis probe apparent death squad | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

Iraqis probe apparent death squad

Dogen Hannah - Knight Ridder Newspapers

February 16, 2006 03:00 AM

BAGHDAD, Iraq—The Iraqi Interior Ministry has launched an investigation into an alleged police death squad.

Iraq's Sunni Muslim minority has claimed for more than a year that members of Iraq's Shiite Muslim-dominated security forces intimidate, kidnap and murder Sunnis, but the probe was triggered by Iraqi soldiers' chance discovery of 22 Iraqi men in police uniforms allegedly preparing to kill a Sunni man.

The Chicago Tribune first reported the detention of the 22 men in Thursday's editions.

U.S. Army Lt. Col. Michael Negard, a spokesman for the American-led effort to train Iraqi forces, confirmed the Iraqi investigation. It marks the most public and forceful action that the Shiite-led government has taken to pursue the allegations.

Even so, Saleh al-Mutlaq, a prominent Sunni politician, told Knight Ridder on Thursday that he didn't trust the Interior Ministry to conduct a thorough, independent investigation.

"We lost that trust a long time ago," he said.

Iraq's majority Shiites were repressed under Saddam Hussein's mostly Sunni regime.

Last June, Knight Ridder documented several instances in which Sunni men who'd been detained by uniformed men in police vehicles later were found dead. The Interior Ministry denied any involvement.

Although there's never been any proof that Interior Ministry forces were involved, suspicions ran high, in part because the interior minister, Bayan Jabr, is a leading member of the Shiite-led Supreme Council for the Islamic Revolution in Iraq, which has close ties to the Badr Organization, a prominent Shiite militia group that's linked to Iran.

Reining in ethnic and religious violence, including that perpetrated by Iraqi security forces, is crucial to establishing widespread confidence in Iraq's fledgling democratic government. Failing to do so could lead to civil war and forestall the withdrawal from Iraq of U.S.-led coalition forces, which are imposing some measure of law and order.

Negard confirmed that the 22 men were detained at an Iraqi army checkpoint late last month after they told the soldiers that they were taking a Sunni man to be killed. American forces are holding four men who are thought to be the group's leaders, and Iraqis are detaining the other 18, he said.

In what could be a related account, the Dar al Salam (Home of Peace) newspaper—which is connected with the Iraqi Islamic Party, a major Sunni group—reported Tuesday that Iraqi soldiers had detained a group of men at a checkpoint Jan. 20.

The soldiers grew suspicious when the men, whose cars included an Iraqi highway patrol vehicle, couldn't produce a warrant for the arrest of a man in their custody. Some of the men subsequently said they'd kidnapped the man and intended to kill him, the newspaper reported.

———

(Hannah reports for the Contra Costa Times. Knight Ridder Newspapers special correspondent Zaineb Obeid contributed to this report from Baghdad.)

———

(c) 2006, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Iraq

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service