Bush willing to delay ports deal, aide says | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

Bush willing to delay ports deal, aide says

William Douglas - Knight Ridder Newspapers

February 23, 2006 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—Apparently bowing to congressional pressure, a top White House aide said Thursday that President Bush would accept a delay in the deal for a United Arab Emirates-owned company to manage terminals at six major U.S. ports in order to give skeptical lawmakers more time to study it.

Deputy White House Chief of Staff Karl Rove's comments in a radio interview signaled Bush's new willingness to soothe angry Republican and Democratic lawmakers who oppose the deal because they feel it would jeopardize national security, something the Bush administration stoutly denies.

Bush had vowed Tuesday to veto any congressional measure that would stop the deal, which is set to close on March 2, next Thursday.

But on Thursday, when asked if Bush would now accept "a slight delay", Rove replied "yes."

No aide is closer to Bush than Rove, who oversees political strategy. Rove wasn't involved when the administration approved the ports deal last month, but once a political firestorm erupted on Capitol Hill this past week, he got involved.

Both Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., and House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., called for a delay earlier this week to permit a more thorough review of the deal, and so had dozens of other lawmakers. They fear past UAE connections to al-Qaida could put U.S. ports at risk.

The administration says such fears are groundless, saying the UAE is a cooperative partner in the war on terror and that the UAE firm involved has agreed to meet all security requirements.

UAE-based Dubai Ports World will pay $6.8 billion to take over management of terminals at the ports of Miami, Philadelphia, New York, New Jersey, Baltimore and New Orleans from Peninsular and Oriental Steamship Navigation Co., a British firm.

"Look, there are some hurdles, regulatory hurdles, that this still needs to go through ... that are going to be concluded next week," Rove said on Fox Radio's `Tony Snow Show.' "There's no requirement that it close, you know, immediately after that."

"Our interest is in making certain members of Congress have full information about it, and that, we're convinced, will give them a level of comfort with this," Rove said.

White House communications officials seemed to be caught off guard by Rove's remarks, initially declining to comment when asked if he spoke for the president. After a couple of hours, White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan returned a reporter's call, but refused to answer directly whether Bush now supports a delay.

All McClellan would say is that Bush wants the deal to go through, adding, "We're glad to provide (Congress) with more information. We believe once they have the facts, they will be comfortable with the transaction moving forward."

Rove's comments came as administration officials briefed the Senate Armed Services Committee about why the deal should move forward. Testimony there appeared to contradict Rove's assurance that a delay can be arranged.

Robert Kimmitt, deputy security of the Treasury Department, was asked if Bush has legal authority to delay the deal after the administration has already approved it. Kimmitt said the approval process could be reopened only if parties involved in the deal are found to have provided false, misleading or incorrect information.

In light of that reading of the law, it was unclear how Bush and Congress could delay the deal further, although one option could be for DP World to request the delay. But Sen. John Warner, R-Va., who chaired the Senate committee hearing, indicated that he didn't think it would be a big problem.

Unaware of Rove's radio comments, Warner said that Congress could pass a law ordering a 45-day delay, then noted that Bush had threatened to veto any such legislation, but concluded:

"I do believe this thing—it's my opinion—can be worked out satisfactorily so that there's a reconciliation of the views of Congress and the executive branch that's in the best interests of our national security."

Many political analysts think a delay is necessary to defuse a political confrontation between Bush and Congress and permit the administration time to allay public fears.

A delay of up to 60 days would "get people to back off the ledge here and give everybody a chance to back down," said Republican consultant Rich Galen.

———

(c) 2006, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

PHOTOS (from KRT Photo Service, 202-383-6099): PORTSECURITY

GRAPHICS (from KRT Graphics, 202-383-6064): 20060223 Port operations, 20050223 Port volume

Need to map

Related stories from McClatchy DC

latest-news

1027405

May 24, 2007 03:25 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service