2nd case of avian flu stokes fear in Egypt | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

2nd case of avian flu stokes fear in Egypt

Miret el Naggar - Knight Ridder Newspapers

March 19, 2006 03:00 AM

CAIRO, Egypt—Fear of the deadly bird flu virus in rising in Egypt, where one woman has died of the ailment and a second person is reported to have contracted it.

The Egyptian Ministry of Health announced on Sunday that the second human victim is a 28-year-old man from the same village as the 30-year-old woman whose death had been announced Saturday. The health ministry said that the second victim is showing signs of recovery.

But word that one person has died from the H5N1 strain of avian flu had many Cairo residents passing on eating poultry. At Cairo restaurants, diners avoided recipes that included chicken or asked for meat substitutes, workers said. Housewives said that they'd cleaned out their fridges in spite of health experts' insistence that it's safe for humans to consume chicken if it's cooked or grilled.

Egypt's location on the route of migratory birds between Asia and Africa makes it especially exposed to infection. Bird flu was first detected here in mid-February, forcing the government to cull millions of chickens and to ban the sale of live poultry. Health officials also launched an awareness campaign to prevent panic.

But fear set in after the news that Amal Mohamed Ismail, who raised chickens in her home 25 miles north of Cairo, had died after she was admitted to a hospital last week with a high fever, chest pains and aching bones.

"I'm now more afraid then I was before," said Sayed Ragab, 40, who said he had stopped eating chicken and had told his wife to get rid of all the chicken he had bought just a few days ago. "All that media campaign by the government. Why didn't they go and destroy her farm?"

Veterinary teams joined by the police put Ismail's village under quarantine and are monitoring her family for signs of infection, the health ministry said. Officials said the second victim was not related to Ismail.

Egyptian chicken farmers, meanwhile, are lobbying the government for emergency aid to reimburse them for lost sales as grocery stores and restaurants stop offering poultry.

Waleed Hamdy, the manager of a Cairo supermarket, pointed to the empty space in a large cooler that was once filled with fresh chickens. Now, only frozen birds are for sale.

"I'm one of the people who got scared," admitted Hamdy, 28. "I stopped buying chicken, even the frozen ones."

Restaurant owners said the panic has wiped out demand for breakfasts of omelets, scrambled eggs and other chicken products.

"The demand for chicken has definitely fallen," said Ahmed Abdel Wahab, 25, a waiter at an upscale Cairo diner that caters to foreigners and university students. "We used to order 33 to 44 pounds of chicken, now we order about 22 pounds."

Two women at the diner illustrated the confusion over what is safe. The first, a 47-year-old Algerian who gave her name as Baya, had just ordered a chicken sandwich.

"I like chicken too much and it's hard to know what to eat these days, anyway," she said with a shrug.

Her friend, a 35-year-old Libyan named Wafa Ibherat, said she was terrified by the news of Ismail's death. Chicken is now off limits for her.

"It scared me a lot when I first heard it on TV," she said. "I tracked the news on all channels and searched on the Internet as well, to be informed."

———

(El Naggar is a Knight Ridder Newspapers special correspondent.)

———

(c) 2006, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Need to map

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service