Pentagon agency seeking $306,000 in overcharges | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

Pentagon agency seeking $306,000 in overcharges

Drew Brown - Knight Ridder Newspapers

March 30, 2006 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—The Defense Logistics Agency told Congress on Thursday that it had been overcharged for common kitchen equipment under its prime vendor purchasing system and that it would seek new bids for more than $800 million worth of purchases.

The agency, which buys equipment and supplies for the U.S. military, said it also would ask five suppliers to return $306,000 in overcharges for equipment such as refrigerators and coffee makers.

The agency also won't renew $120 million worth of contracts with those five suppliers when they expire in June. Instead, it will solicit new bids in open competition.

Contracts worth $714 million more for items such as firefighting equipment and wooden pallets also will be rebid.

Agency officials outlined the actions during a briefing to members of the House Armed Services Committee, which ordered the agency to review its prime vendor purchasing program after a Knight Ridder investigation found that the agency had been overcharged for kitchen items.

Knight Ridder reported that the agency paid $32,642 for an airplane refrigerator that the manufacturer sells for $17,267 each, $20 for ice cube trays that cost 89 cents, and $81 for coffee makers that usually sell for $29.

The agency blamed the problems on inadequate management oversight, incomplete audits and poor performance by contracting officials involved in the $7.4 billion purchasing program.

"There are many of us on the House Armed Services Committee that do not think that the prime vendor program has worked to the benefit of the taxpayers, and that's why those changes are forthcoming," said Rep. Walter Jones, R-N.C. "This is a small victory, but a victory for the taxpayers."

"I am glad that the military has finally gotten to the bottom of this matter," said Rep. John Spratt, D-S.C. "This proves the value of congressional oversight and the value of good journalism as well."

Congressional aides said agency officials told the committee that a contracting officer and supervisor have been reassigned as a result of the internal review, that another person has resigned and that four people have had their authority to purchase items for the government revoked.

"That's a death knell for a contracting officer," said one committee aide.

Another congressional aide said that a criminal investigation by the Pentagon is pending. The Government Accountability Office is scheduled to complete its audit of the prime vendor program by the end of April, the second aide said.

Both aides asked not to be quoted by name because they weren't authorized to speak on the subject.

The Defense Logistics Agency buys nearly all of the military's consumable items, from groceries to jet fuel. The agency also disposes of materials and equipment the military no longer needs.

The agency provided more than $31 billion in goods and services last year to U.S. armed forces, including those in Afghanistan and Iraq. The agency was created in 1961 and is based at Fort Belvoir, Va. It employs more than 21,000 civilians and military personnel in nearly every state and 28 foreign countries.

The Defense Logistics Agency's prime vendor program was set up in 1992, partly in response to news reports on wasteful Pentagon spending in the 1980s.

The program was meant to save the Pentagon money by allowing bulk purchases and limiting suppliers to a relative handful of firms. It also was meant to cut down on expensive warehouse space and speed up delivery of items to troops in the field.

Jack L. Hooper, chief of media relations at the agency, said he couldn't comment on the House briefing or any changes that the agency was making because they're "still under active discussion between the department and its committees of jurisdiction."

The companies that were listed by the House committee for overcharging the government were Dietary Equipment Co., of Columbia, S.C.; Lankford SYSCO, of Pocomoke City, Md.; JAL Enterprises, of Hampton, Va.; FEM Food Equipment Marketing Inc., of Rockville, Md., and Gill Marketing Co., of Phoenix

Between them, the five companies were responsible for providing kitchen equipment to U.S. military dining halls and shipboard galleys worldwide. Their five-year contracts ranged from $12 million to $30 million each.

No one at those companies was available for comment Thursday. It's unclear whether they'll be allowed to bid when new contracts are solicited after the current ones expire.

———

(c) 2006, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Need to map

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service